“35th Anniversary”

Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier
Reserve with OpenTable
Marcel's by Robert Wiedmaier is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #46 of 3,213 Restaurants in Washington DC
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End
Cross street: 24th and 25th
Transit: Foggy Bottom Metro
Description: Since 1999, Chef Wiedmaier infuses his Belgian heritage into Marcel's elegant haute French flagship restaurant. Regularly topping the best-of-lists in the nation's capital, in 2011 and 2012, it was rated the top restaurant for food by Zagat as well as one of the top five restaurants for service.
Fairfax, VA
“35th Anniversary”
Reviewed May 9, 2012

My wife and I visited Marcel's for our 35th anniversary. The flexible tasting menu approach works very well, and unlike many restaurants, we were able to bring our own special wine ($25.00 corking fee, well worth it). Service was flawless, in an 'old school' formal environment. A number of the dishes, particularly those recommended by the staff, were remarkable (two in particular were Marcel’s Classic Boudin Blanc and Lamb Tenderloin Wrapped in Phyllo Pastry) - as a foodie, contrasting textures and sauces truly stood out in most of the dishes! We have been to many of the popular restaurants in DC over the last 20 years, and Marcel's will remain one of our favorites. Take advantage of the valet parking. Highly recommended.

• Visited May 2012

Toronto
“One of the best in DC”
Reviewed May 8, 2012

It is rated one of the best and deserves to be. You will not be disappointed.

Visited May 2012
Upper Marlboro, MD
“Bosquet des Papes Wine Dinner”
Reviewed May 1, 2012

My wife and I attended the Domaine Bosquet des Papes Wine dinner of 5 courses featuring Chateauneuf-du-Pape wines from this domaine. The owner/winemaker Nicolas Boiron personally presented and explained his wines. This is the second wine tasting dinner that we have attended at Marcel's and they are always a treat at this restaurant. Despite what that culinary Philistine, Todd Kliman from the Washingtonian magazine says, Marcel's is the best and finest restaurant in the Metropolitan DC area. They prepare the best dishes, have the best service and present wonderful wines every time. I have NEVER had a bad experience there. We started off with the Maine Lobster Pappardelle, with baby carrots, English peas and a Lobster Cognac essence. This dish is layered with many flavors that are delectable and includes generous portions of sweet and tender lobster tail, claw and knuckle meat. We drank a white Chateauneuf-du-Pape made from 3 different varietals that was rich and had a good level of oak present. The second course was a quail breast, with a gruyere potato cake, a roasted cipolini onion and tarragon quail jus. The quail breast was a little tough but my wife's was not. The accompanying sides were rich in flavor and I sopped up all of the sauce with bread. We drank a 1996 Cuvee Chantemerle Vieilles Vignes red that was somewhat one dimensional in my opinion. The next course was a perfectly cooked angus filet mignon with baby asparagus, stilton roulade and a cabernet reduction. Incredible and very rich in flavor! We had two wonderful and complex reds that were a perfect accompaniment to the food. They were a Cuvee Grenache 2000 and a Chante le Merle Vieilles Vignes 2003. The next course was a wonderfully rich slice of Brillat Savarin cheese with wild flower honey, raisins on the vine and candied walnuts. We drank the Cuvee Tradition 2007 that was also divine. The last course consisted of a community plate of individual sized chocolates and pastries. This was one of if not the best evenings that we have had in a long time. I highly recommend this restaurant. I have eaten extensively in the best restaurants in Europe and this ranks as a good 2 star michelin restaurant in my opinion.

• Visited April 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“A great restaurant however the service needs work...”
Reviewed April 27, 2012

My wife and I were there to celebrate our both birthdays, now about a week ago. The food was overall good but the service needs work. It was a Saturday and the restaurant was pretty busy but that should not be an excuse to have less than average service, especially when you pay the big $$$$. When the food was served, they forgot about serving the bread, even if it was asked for. The dishes of my wife and I were not served simultaneously and when I asked for another glass of wine I had to wait forever and even remind the waiter. As icing on the cake, they completely forgot about our birthdays, even though I had mentioned this twice when I made the reservation. The food was good but it definitely tastes way less good when you have to deal with all the flaws in service...

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank OnTheRoadAgain1357
San Francisco, California, United States
“Not as good as we expected”
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Marcel's has a Zagat rating of 29/30 so we naturally expected a fantastic eating experience. Unfortunately it fell short. The food was good but not exceptional. The time between courses was simply too long. We would wait at least 20 min between our 7 courses. We enjoy a leisurely meal but that was too long. Our server was quite nervous during the entire meal and even spilled some wine. The atmosphere was somewhat frenetic with servers walking very quickly back and forth all night because we were eating in the bar near the kitchen where the food came out. All in all not what we expect for a 29/30. I would give it a 24 or so.

Visited April 2012