“Hugely disappointing.”

Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Dupont Circle
Reviewed April 4, 2013

My expectations were high, based in the excellent reviews, but the reality was a real let down. The antipasti was uninspired, prima pasta was the best course. The steak was undercooked, the vegetables were cold. My wife's squab was poorly cooked and she was disappointed with the wine paring. Decor is very average, not up to the price range. My mother in law found 2 hairs in 2 dishes - neither were hers. Don't waste your time or money here folks.

1  Thank Pangs0

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Obeslisk has been in a unpretentious Dupont Circle townhouse for a long time but continues to offer creative Italian-inspired prix fixe meals at what is a reasonable price for one of Washington's finest restaurants. It remains many people's favorite restaurant for special occasions, consistently excellent food, and many more reasons. Dinner begins with an antipasto course that changes periodically and is practically a tasting menu in itself. Ours included burrata, pork belly rillettes, octopus in a luscious sauce, salad and more. For the pasta course we had canerdeli--tennis ball size bread dumplings containing prosciutto and duck confit--in broth. Then came a baby chicken grilled under a brick, a taste of three cheeses, and an interesting dessert. At that point we were too full to really pay attention to it beyond noticing that it tasted good. A wine pairing is available but we preferred to order a lovely Arneis. Two caveats: reserve well ahead; consider taking a cab or the Metro, which has a station essentially around the corner, because parking is in very short supply in that neighborhood.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

This is not a restaurant chosen to impress your date - there is no sign outside; the decor is extremely basic; the staff is friendly and knowledgeable, but the male waiters are in chinos or jeans not suits. People come here for the food - succulent and creative dishes. Given that the fixed-price menu comes with several amuse-bouches, an appetizer, a main course, a cheese course, desert (+ 'mignardises'), it is also very good value. No wonder this place is always full. One can't come too often though - portions are fairly generous, so an indulgent pleasure seeker can turn from obelisk to Obelix.

3  Thank Lam N
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I love good food, and I appreciate good service. Obelisk isn't a fancy place. and it was kind of noisy the night I was there (weeknight around 9:15pm). The beauty of this place is in its food though. The menu here changes daily and dinner is multi-course with some fixed and a couple of options for courses. When presented with my, asked if I could substitute some items because I am a vegetarian. After being asked if I had allergies (I don't), the kind server said, "OK, so we will just bring food to you!" My kind of place. I loved not knowing what was coming, and come it did. And every morsel was delicious and beautifully presented. From the Italian burrata that was incredible to the arugula ravioli that was delicate and delicious, to the cheese course and the dessert course, this was quality fine dining prepared and presented with care. The three servers responded to any need they observed equally, no fussing about whose table it was. My only regret was having to dine here alone, as I was staying nearby on business. This is a place to share, to enjoy with someone else. You won't be disappointed. My only complaint: they don't take AmEx. Otherwise, perfect.

1  Thank BeingFrankWithU
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We have been to Obelisk many times over the last few years. This particular visit was a family special event. The food and service are always outstanding. Given the price, it is not a place we go often but we do make it a regular event for any special occasion - even some we make up.

1  Thank Steve S