“C"est si Bon”
Review of La Chaumiere

La Chaumiere
Reserve with OpenTable
La Chaumiere is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #130 of 3,367 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Georgetown
Reviewed March 19, 2014

We loved our first visit - and will be sure to return. We got the quiet corner we requested and service was perfectly paced. Meals were delicious and the soufflés for dessert were fabulous - best we've had in years.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

La Chaumiere in Washington DC offers a superb traditional French cuisine in a semi rustic but elegant environment. It stays in the middle range of fine, but traditional French cuisine served in good (not too small, not too big) proportions, which is also a French way of eating. I am French, raised in Paris where I lived until I was 26 years old, but I have lived on Capitol Hill in Washington DC for 33 years. I have tried the majority of the French restaurants in the city and prefer La Chaumiere in Georgetown. I am not the only one, as every time I dine there I notice the presence of political and media celebrities. The atmosphere is always warm, lively, hospitable and the servers very attentive of your needs. My husband and I dined there on New Year's Eve on big, fresh, briny oysters (from France?), a succulent Dover sole ( nobody makes it like the chef at La Chaumiere), and we shared an exquisite and melting on the tongue chocolate cake. A triumph!!!
The only draw back is their house champagne ( don't remember the name) that I thought had a corky taste, so the next time I replaced it by a glass of Sancerre which was delicious.

1  Thank Helene M
Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

We have been going here for years. The food and service quality is always consistent. Menu selections are varied with seasonal options and well prepared.
Great ambience in heart of Georgetown.

Reviewed March 6, 2014

A wonderful Friday night dinner experience. The cozy room was bustling but it didn't ever feel frantic. Service was top-notch and the food was superb. We first dined at La Chaumiere while living in DC in 1986. We moved away in 1989 but on every return visit, we have stopped by for dinner. Everything has remained at the highest level.

1  Thank NewSmyrnaJoe
Reviewed March 4, 2014

My wife had been to La Chaumiere for a business dinner a few months ago and suggested that we take our niece there for dinner when she was in town for a short visit. I wanted to give this restaurant a very good rating but the service was sub par which impacted my overall rating. The French food was authentic starting with the house specialty Quenelle de Brochet. It is a marvelous fish souffle (they called it a dumpling made out of pike) in a rich, creamy lobster sauce. The sweetbreads I had for the entree were cooked to perfection. My wife really enjoyed her dish of Capon Roulade which she said was quite tasty with a crayfish sauce on top.

However on balance the total experience was lacking. We arrived for an early seating and ended in the upstairs dining room. It certainly lacked the decor and charm of the downstairs. (The only redeeming factor was it was much quieter than lower dining area.) Unfortunately, the poor service detracted from the finely prepared food. I don't know if was the stairs or attitude, but the waiter didn't check on us as often as he should once the food arrived. When he did make an appearance, he seemed to lavish most of his time on a table that appeared to be full of regulars. I don't begrudge someone taking care of their regular customers. But I've experienced professional waiters that are able to do so with aplomb and not impact their other guests. When the meal ended and our table was cleared we had to flag another server down just to order coffee.

There are so many other good restaurants in the DC area, especially at this price point, that based on this experience, I'm not sure I'll be back.

1  Thank Tim W