“Gets better every time”
Review of La Chaumiere

La Chaumiere
Reserve with OpenTable
La Chaumiere is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #136 of 3,229 Restaurants in Washington DC
Neighborhood: Georgetown
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
“Gets better every time”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

A wonderful Friday night dinner experience. The cozy room was bustling but it didn't ever feel frantic. Service was top-notch and the food was superb. We first dined at La Chaumiere while living in DC in 1986. We moved away in 1989 but on every return visit, we have stopped by for dinner. Everything has remained at the highest level.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank NewSmyrnaJoe

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“I'm glad I went for the food, the service not so much”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

My wife had been to La Chaumiere for a business dinner a few months ago and suggested that we take our niece there for dinner when she was in town for a short visit. I wanted to give this restaurant a very good rating but the service was sub par which impacted my overall rating. The French food was authentic starting with the house specialty Quenelle de Brochet. It is a marvelous fish souffle (they called it a dumpling made out of pike) in a rich, creamy lobster sauce. The sweetbreads I had for the entree were cooked to perfection. My wife really enjoyed her dish of Capon Roulade which she said was quite tasty with a crayfish sauce on top.

However on balance the total experience was lacking. We arrived for an early seating and ended in the upstairs dining room. It certainly lacked the decor and charm of the downstairs. (The only redeeming factor was it was much quieter than lower dining area.) Unfortunately, the poor service detracted from the finely prepared food. I don't know if was the stairs or attitude, but the waiter didn't check on us as often as he should once the food arrived. When he did make an appearance, he seemed to lavish most of his time on a table that appeared to be full of regulars. I don't begrudge someone taking care of their regular customers. But I've experienced professional waiters that are able to do so with aplomb and not impact their other guests. When the meal ended and our table was cleared we had to flag another server down just to order coffee.

There are so many other good restaurants in the DC area, especially at this price point, that based on this experience, I'm not sure I'll be back.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Tim W
washington dc
“32year revisited”
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

We had are wedding rehearsal dinner here in 1981. Went back this month and it brought back fond memories of that night. The food is still great and service magnificent. Prices have changed but most everything was the same.

“It's ok”
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

Had Valentines Day dinner here. The food was ok but it wasn't anything special. I did like the atmosphere. Dim lighting with calming music. Nice place for a couples dinner.

Plainville, Connecticut
“Superb classical French brasserie”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

This place serves the kind of food we used to get in France in the 1960s, and for about the same price too. La Chaumiere charges 60% of New York prices. It has the best quenelles we ever tasted, light and flluffy; wonderful sauces thick with cream and butter, souffles. We ate there twice in three days, including New Years Eve, when they served their usual menu at their usual prices. If this place were in my town, I'd eat there every day.

If you want imaginative, innovative cooking and legumes from third world countries, stay away from La Chaumiere, but me. . . just plain old haute cuisine is be good enough.

• Visited December 2013