“Excellent selection of breakfast items, great location”

Corner Bakery - 14th St. NW
Ranked #134 of 3,368 Restaurants in Washington DC
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Reviewed December 22, 2012

This breakfast location had a great selection of bakery and a breakfast plates. Adjacent to the National Press Club and the JW Marriott, prices were reasonable, seating was easy to find, but busy. It's counter service, very casual, but only 2 blocks from the Ellipse, grab a table on the street side and people watch! We would definitely come back.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

Almost every morning the wife and I got breakfast here and ordered a scrambler breakfast and used the free WiFi. The cost was less than half what breakfast would have been at the Willard's Cafe du Parc, and a quarter had we ordered room service. Heck, even their tuna sandwiches were a good inexpensive lunch or dinner.

Reviewed December 15, 2012

My husband and I ate here twice. We had the bacon and cheddar panini, commuter croissant, cinnamon roll, blueberry muffin. Some sort of egg scramble with hash browns and the infamous cookies and cream whoopie pie. All of the food was delicious, but this savory treat was To. Die. For. My husband, who is a peets and Starbucks coffee fan, didn't care for the coffee, but who cares, Starbucks is a block over! Will definitely go back here again and again!

Reviewed December 6, 2012

We visited Corner Bakery several times for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner over the course of our week stay. This location is all over the place, sometimes good, sometimes disappointing. The location was perfect, as it is right around the corner from the JW Marriott, in the National Press building. First, we had dinner. The kids meal of pasta & meatballs, a drink and a side of fruit salad @ 5 was perfect for my kids. My kids said the meatball was “very tasty.” I had the Broccoli & Cheddar soup, very good. My husband has Harvest Salad with Roasted Chicken Salad and thought it was good. Next visit, came for lunch, food was served in a decent (not great amount of time). We had basically the same thing as the previous visit, except I also had a Caesar Chicken salad – also tasted good. Because of the two good experiences, we tried it for breakfast, this is where is gets to the bad and the ugly. First breakfast visit, being that it was a weekday; the café was busy with the local business people so it was a little crowded compared to our first 2 visits. My husband and I ordered lattes in addition to our breakfast meals. For the specialty drinks, you have to wait at a separate counter; they do not bring it with your food. So my family sat down and I waited at the counter. It seemed to take about 10 minutes to get 2 lattes, and the counter wasn’t very busy. The woman working the coffee area was nice but seemed to be taking a little too much time and not a faster morning pace that you would expect for the AM rush. The lattes were good and a little less than if I went to Starbucks. I joined my family and waited about 10 minutes for the food, again a little long considering it was morning rush. The food was good and warm so no major complaints. One of the employees, Verneon (sorry if I spelled it wrong), was cleaning up, wishing people happy holidays and did brighten up the room with his good cheer. Ok, wasn’t too bad an experience, decided to try it again for breakfast. This is where the ugly comes in. It’s the day after Thanksgiving; it’s a work day for most in DC so there was still the hustle and bustle as if it was a regular work day. We got on line, waited for about 5 minutes for our turn and then told, it was going to be at least 20 minutes till we could get our food – there was a major backlog in the kitchen. At the same time as we were at the counter 2 things happened 1) a women walked up to the cashier and complained that the food was cold and the worst she ever eaten.. in which the cashier just shrugged it off with no question. 2) Another man was walking out saying that it took over 1 1/2 hr. for him to get his food and it was cold. At 9ish, they were already out of oatmeal and bagels. Considering that we already experience a 20 minute delay the previous day, we knew their 20 minutes behind was probably closer to an hour. Again, looking back at the kitchen, there was hustle and bustle you would expect for the AM rush. We ended up leaving without ordering, and having breakfast at Starbucks. If I was sitting at a formal restaurant, with a waitress, I could expect to wait about 15 minutes for food. However, if you are catering to a local business person who has to get to work, or like us, visitors who might have specific timetables for their visit – this wait is unacceptable. The staff didn’t seem apologetic either, this seemed like the norm rather than the exception. If you have time to spare, and you see the café is empty, it worth a try.. the food at times was very good. If you are trying to run in and have a quick meal and get out… I would not chance it. There are too many inconsistencies with this restaurant. Also, if you are traveling with kids, you might lose their patience if they are really hungry when you get there.

1  Thank RBabe
Reviewed November 30, 2012

We frequented the Cafe for pastry, coffee, lunch and breakfast - don't miss the oatmeal!
The service is very quick and staff is friendly - great value.