“Ok for lunch, but it may better as a club”

Cities Restaurant & Lounge
Ranked #2,391 of 3,323 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: European, Contemporary, International
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: K Street
Transit: Metro Line exit Farragut West
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I had been told that this place was best for happy hour or as a late night club, but I went for lunch. Worth noting: If you drink, happy hour prices start at lunch. Outside seating also is available, including some sofas.

The service was fine. The food was average. I ordered a medium-rare cheeseburger. I can't remember the last time bacon was not available as an optional topping, but it wasn't here. The burger was slightly over cooked, but it was juicy and flavorful. My husband had the crab cake. He can be picky, but he pronounced it "good with very little filler."

A word of caution! Although we were only a party of 2, the bill arrived with a 20% tip already included!! There was no signage and nothing on the menu to indicate that this would happen.
On the upside, they weren't sneaky about it. It was a separate line item on the bill. The bill also included a line for an "additional tip."

In short, while I have no serious complaints about the food or the service, I also can't rave about it. It was just average.

Reviewed June 4, 2012

But drink and drink a lot! The Happy Hour here is great! Go just for that and the ambience, but eat elsewhere first.

Reviewed May 9, 2012

I visited cities for lunch twice during a business trip and it was frankly excellent.
try the excecutive lunch with the crab chowder/argentine skirt steak and sambayon for dessert, fantastic combination!

Reviewed November 28, 2011

Attended the "Afrology all black tie event" and it was great. Staff were the best. Food is the best and the DJ plays the best hits. We had so much fun.

1  Thank RossReview
Reviewed March 4, 2011

As a person who loves to try new things I was very intrigued by the newly opened Cities! The menu online was a little haphazard as it has everything from hummus to the Cuban sandwich to hot and sour soup. However I was still willing to give it a try. I walked up to the building with Greek music blaring and the door not very well marked. After stumbling around for a moment I found the handle and walked in. The greeter glared at my party and said NOTHING. I waited for a moment and then spoke up to say "3 please". One of the gentlemen in my party could not bear the strong cleanser odor and we politely declined to be sat after-all. With that, we began to walk out and I voiced my dismay with the greeter. I simply said to my colleague (who chose not to stay) "I understand, don't worry about it- the host did not greet us anyhow". As we stepped outside a few ladies were walking in and with that the greeter ran out to hold the door, exclaimed "WELCOME TO CITIES LADIES!!" and shot me a terrible look as I walked further down the street. Now, the food may be great but I will never know as the host demonstrated the spiteful behavior of a 5 year old. Also, the ambiance was also that of a night club as opposed to a restaurant.