“I like these old-fashioned places, they do not age.”

Tony Cheng Mongolian Restaurant
Ranked #759 of 3,283 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Staying next to Chinatown, we explored. My colleague had spotted the dim sum flyer, so we went for lunch. No trolley service but a large choice to tick from a list. We added a small soup and one vegetable. All very tasty and genuine. Too bad we were only two. The elderly waiters know their trade. One recommended a change of vegetable. Prompt service, but is there only one choice of tea? I hope they do not change the decor. It reminded me of my first trip to Hong Kong in 1972.

There are newer reviews for Tony Cheng Mongolian Restaurant

Reviewed June 7, 2014

This place reminded me of family meals as a child when we would go out for "exotic" food to the Chinese restaurant in our area. In 1984. In some ways it was nostalgic. The chairs, the table, the lobster tank in the middle of the room with magnified lobsters whose claws were wrapped in green rubber bands. The water and hot tea served upon arrival by a nice waiter. The wall is adorned with celebrities who dined there and newspaper clippings highlighting the restaurant throughout the 80s and 90s (the most recent accolade we could find was from 2004). And then I remembered it's 2014, not 1984.

The menu is exactly as you would expect. The classic Chinese dishes made for American pallets from the jazzersize era. Nothing new or innovative. Nothing on the lighter side of dining. It was all heavy, sauce-covered classics such as General Tso's whatever, fried rice, etc. And there are no changes or substitutions (fried rice on the side instead of white rice--why would you ask??).

They said they will take out MSG and gluten from any order. As someone sensitive to MSG I was thrilled, but after a few sips of my delicious old school hot and sour soup I could feel the headache starting. Oh well, there is always Advil. Incredibly generous portion sizes. Not long waits on the food. Good flavors. But heavy and greasy, just like the old days. Great, attentive service. Our water glasses were never empty.

And to finish, the slightly stale fortune cookie and dried out orange. It was a fun walk down memory lane, but one I would never repeat.

1  Thank travelerparker
Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

Went to Tony Chens on the advise of the visitors guide. Right away we were hit up to do the din sum. Choose to order off menu. For a restaurant in Chinatown I expected more. Just advantage. Waiter was abrupt and not open to giving suggestions. Probably won't go back.

Reviewed May 21, 2014 via mobile

We did a night tour that ended near Chinatown. This restaurant had a sign that they were open until 11 pm. We arrived about 10:20. Granted we were only ones in the restaurant but first thing Miss Lu wanted was our order. I asked for 2 minutes to decide and we maybe got one. Perhaps she was under great pressure from the kitchen. The food was good but the rush made it less enjoyable than one would want.

Reviewed May 16, 2014 via mobile

Went upstairs for dim sum waitresses abrupt and slightly unfriendly - no trolleys - order by paper menu. Food above average, shark fin dumplings tasty and moo shu pork with pancakes very nice. High chairs available