Tony Cheng Mongolian Restaurant
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Saw this restaurant on a hotel list of eateries and decided that our boys should try something different. They loved it - the food and the show put on by the two chefs.
In common with some of the other reviews the chefs were keen to deal with the sauces but they knew what they were doing and were happy to be lead.
We were on an eat all you like tariff and found it to be good value overall.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

Having eaten at several mediocre restaurants in Chinatown, I was willing to give the pricier menu at Tony Cheng's Chinese restaurant (upstairs) a try. Definitey worth it. An interesting menu, and everything was delicious. I tried the Honey Cream Shrimp with Walnuts - an unusual dish and quite tasty. It was not heavy and the crisp broccoli set it off perfectly. Also enjoyed the steamed dumplings, although I was warned when they served my friend her soup and appetizer that they'd take 10 minutes to arrive. My friend, who was in a state of Chinese food deprivation, thought highly of the shredded duck. I will definitely go back.

Reviewed December 6, 2012

Ok, Washington DC Chinatown isn't anything close to NYC, Toronto, LA, SF or maybe even Chicago (I have been to all of 5 mentioned), but one would expect much better dim sum at one of the biggest places supposedly known for dim sum in DC Chinatown! I ordered 5 basic dim sum items and all I can say is that the overall quality is mediocre at best. I am sure that they are doing their best, but, to me, they could have put in much more effort. The food did not look their best. The taste was ok. The art of making the dim sum was lacking. The service was so so. I was going to give the restaurant 3 stars for average but the sticker shock took it down to 2 stars.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

We ate downstairs at the buffet. it was not a real buffet for $12.95 ish you only get one trip to the bar. I have been in other mongolian buffetts and you could have multiple trips. food was good not a huge selection of vegetables to put in your little bowl, would like to be able to add an egg but that was not an option. Side note, all the meat is frozen. i think that is done so that they can slice it off into really thin slices. was fairly tasty but will probably not go back there at least for the buffett.

1  Thank mad155
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We have dined upstairs (the Chinese part of the restaurant) many times with extended family. We take advantage of the large round tables with lazy susans; they seat up to 10 comfortably which is especially nice for a large group so that everyone can socialize and share the dishes. On our most recent visit, we started with steamed pork dumplings (very good) and spring rolls (average), and the usual soups. Orange beef, General Tso's chicken and moo shu pork were good, but the highlight was the Peking duck, tasty with crispy skin, plum sauce, scallions and pancakes. Hot tea is served as is traditional, whether you order it or not. The staff is quite good and tolerant with youngsters, and this is one reason we often go back when we have a family outing in DC. I would say, however, that you could probably find food in Chinatown that is equally good -- maybe better -- at a lower price.

1  Thank bobhardync