“good food, but pricey”

Tony Cheng Mongolian Restaurant
Ranked #603 of 3,196 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian, Mongolian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Beaufort, NC
“good food, but pricey”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We have dined upstairs (the Chinese part of the restaurant) many times with extended family. We take advantage of the large round tables with lazy susans; they seat up to 10 comfortably which is especially nice for a large group so that everyone can socialize and share the dishes. On our most recent visit, we started with steamed pork dumplings (very good) and spring rolls (average), and the usual soups. Orange beef, General Tso's chicken and moo shu pork were good, but the highlight was the Peking duck, tasty with crispy skin, plum sauce, scallions and pancakes. Hot tea is served as is traditional, whether you order it or not. The staff is quite good and tolerant with youngsters, and this is one reason we often go back when we have a family outing in DC. I would say, however, that you could probably find food in Chinatown that is equally good -- maybe better -- at a lower price.

1 Thank bobhardync

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Grove, Oklahoma
“Huge portions”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I was unsure after reading other reviews, but decided to give this restaurant a try. We had excellent service and extremely huge portions. The waitress actually let us share dishes and gave us extras for our child. The menu has a lot of variety. My advice is to under order or share an entree with someone else. Although the atmosphere was sophisticated, I felt like children were welcome. I also overheard another table being allowed to share soup with extra bowls and spoons. Very accommodating! Hot tea is served along with dinner and iced water. If you are looking to minimize your bill, skip additional drinks. Fortune cookies are served with orange wedges at the end of the meal.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great flavors but a little on the expensive side”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

My husband and I ate at the Chinese restaurant on the second floor. The food was extremely flavorful. We had crab rangoons and two entrees - the seasame chicken and jumbo shrimp with garlic sauce. Each entree came with two good size bowls of rice. The portions were large. They brought us tea and served it to us without ordering it so I assumed it was complimentary. The service was quick. I really did enjoy the meal. We paid our bill and I wasn't paying attention until we were walking out and it hit me that the total was $53. I thought the crab rangoons were $8.50 and that means the entrees must have been on average about $20 each? Anyway, we'll probably go again because in the end the food was tasty.

Lillington, North Carolina
“Upstairs for Chinese - food good, but a bit pricey.”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I visited DC area in September, and a local friend chose Tony Cheng's for dinner. The Mongolian restaurant downstairs looked interesting but she wanted calimari as an appetizer so upstairs to the Chinese restaurant we went. I was very pleased with the seafood, both flavor and presentation. A bit pricey for DC Chinatown in my estimation, but the food and the service was certainly worth the $60+ for two, drinking only tea. I will come back and try the Mongolian next time.

• Visited September 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Affordable and Fun: Great for Families”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Tony Cheng's is a classic for an all-you-can-eat Mongolian grill experience in DC's Chinatown - I live right in the neighborhood, and this has been a laid-back, relaxed go-to for a date and even a late dinner with my out-of-town parents. The staff is friendly (they are efficient, not pushy, so feel free to take your time). You are allowed to visit the noodle/veggie/meat bar as much as you like to mix-and-match your noodle bowls. Rice is also brought to the table, along with an appetizer of pickled carrots and cabbage, a plate of peanuts for garnishing your noodle bowl, a pot of hot tea, and a basket of sesame buns -- all included for around $15 per person. It's a casual dining experience, and perfect if you're looking for a Chinatown meal that isn't necessarily authentic, but certainly comforting and filling.

• Visited September 2012