“Enjoyable Mexican”

Ranked #678 of 3,292 Restaurants in Washington DC
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Capitol Hill
Cross street: Corner of 8th & E street S.E.
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Started with a great Margarita. The food was good and there was a lot of it. Service was a little fragmented, but we chose to eat outside and we were the only ones seated outside. I think that our waiter was juggling lots of tables inside. Other staff members brought our food and checked in with us. We were definitely not ignored.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

Banana Cafe is the quintessential "you get what you pay for." The best thing it has going for it is the Latin decore and music. The service is ok; The food is medicore; and the price for food and drinks is decent. The best way to describe Banana Cafe is "Latin bar food." If your palate is refined, do not expect anything above basic. This is the place you go to when everywhere else that's awesome in Eastern Market has more than 1 hour wait.

The Sunday brunch is ok. It's definately edible; but there's not the Latin flair that you would expect from a place like this. I got the french toast platter, which included four small triangles, a very small serving of potatoes, and 1 egg how you want it. The pancake platter comes with the same sides. Again, not disgusting, but just "okay."

Dinner is similar to brunch. I felt like the food is something that I could whip up in my own kitchen, with no background in Latin cuisine.

Happy hour is good. It gets really packed, so you have to come early and snag a seat upstairs. It's typical happy hour setting-- loud, few waitresses, cheap drinks, and decent size portions. I only recommend happy hour.

Brunch-2.5
Dinner-2.5
Happy Hours- 3

Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

We all had brunch Omelets that were tasty and spiced with a Latin flavor. They came with a piece of fruit and a few pieces of potatoes. No bread tho. It wasn't a huge omelet. Seemed like a two egg size for $10. Ambience was nice.

Reviewed April 5, 2014

It seems to be hard to find Mexican in DC... so we went here. Overall it was good, but nothing special. It is located in the East Market area so it is a nice setting.

This place serves TexMex and Cuban. The Cuban dishes looked good but we didnt have any. I had a typical chimichanga. It was good, the carnitas meat was good. It was served very hot. We also had a taco and rice. And we got a quesadilla for the kids. It wasnt the best Ive ever had but it wasnt the worst. It wasnt the most flavorful but it was served hot.

Service was average. They werent very busy but it seemed like everything took a long time. We waited 10 minutes before someone took our order. 3.5 rating would be perfect for this place. Honestly, didnt see many other mexican choices!

Reviewed April 2, 2014 via mobile

If you're a fan of Latin cuisine you will love the menu. Cuban sandwiches, paella, empanadas, burritos, quesadillas, plantains, black beans, etc. The restaurant itself is well decorated and nice, as is the wait staff. While the food was good, it wasn't as flavorful as some I've had. It wasn't disappointing but it could have been better. Also we had to wait a VERY long time to get our food. Fortunately the chips and salsa were good and plentiful! So overall I would give this restaurant about 3.5 - fantastic menu, good but not great food, friendly but not fast service. All that said, I would definitely go back again.