“A quirky diner with reasonable food at a decent price”
Review of Ollie's Trolley

Ollie's Trolley
Ranked #900 of 3,326 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American, Fast Food
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Reviewed August 30, 2013

During a recent trip to Washington we decided to try Ollie's Trolley one morning for breakfast, as it was conveniently located to our hotel.
The diner, from the outside, looks like one of those places that you'd probably glance in the window of and carry on walking past. When we visited at a weekend we were one of only two groups of customers there, although two other couples appeared shortly afterwards. We had plenty of space despite the old-fashioned street corner diner being adorned with vintage, quirky fairground decorations and retro fixtures and fittings. It certainly adds character to the place but glancing around you couldn't help but feel that the place could do with a little renovation. Perhaps that's me and the way it is currently is part of the charm ...
Once we had managed to converse sufficiently with the lady that was behind the counter at one end of the restaurant to be able to actually order our meals, we waited for them to be prepared. The lady did seem to have her very own method of recording what each individual in a party would like to order; however this wasn't apparent at all and caused some confusion, coupled with her lack of English, as to what she thought we wanted. Never mind, we got what we asked for (I think!)
The food was very good value for money though be aware that if you have an issue with eating from a plastic plate with plastic knife and fork, then this place should perhaps be avoided for breakfast. I have to say that we did walk past again one evening and noticed that it was thriving in comparison to our morning visit, so they must be doing something right.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

We were in DC on a family vacation. We did not have a bunch of time as we were headed to a timed tour at Ford's Theatre after completing a guided 4 1/2 hour walking tour of the monuments area. Needed something quick and Ollie's Trolley filled the bill.

There used to be a couple of the actual OllieTrolleys that operated out of a trolley in Knoxville, Tn when I was growing up there. Based on what I saw inside this place, there had to be somewhat of a connection at one time. The colors and logo, etc. were the same.

The seasoned fries were very similar to what I remember from the past. I do not think that the burgers here were seasoned quite as distinctly as the ones from the past. Those were outstanding. Four of us had burgers with fries and a drink. Don't get me wrong, these burgers were still very good. Wife had a chicken philly that she said was quite good. It took awhile to get 2 of the meals which was odd since they were all ordered at the same time. Not a big deal.

We were all extremely hungry and the food definitely filled the bill. The only minor negative was that the soft drink that I had was a little heavy on the syrup. Also, no free refills on the soft drinks. You do not see that much anymore.

Last thing, I am sure that this place has passed through the original owners many years ago. I would think that at one time it was an amazingly good place to get a burger. These burgers did not rise to quite the amazing level.

Still recommend it for a decent burger.

2  Thank abcjjl
Reviewed August 3, 2013

The food was pretty good; nothing amazing but better than what you would get in the cafe' of one of the museums. I order the hot pastromi on rye; it tasted ok not a lot of flavor and it was far from hot. My brother-in-law ordered was torn between the fish sandwich and the steak sandwich; we asked the cashier her choice she said they were both equally good... so he order the fish but I guess she really meant for him to have the steak since that's what she rang in. While the sandwiches were not amazing, the fries are some of the better fries that I have had-- good flavor and amount of seasoning.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

I picked this place because it looked kinda crummy, and I thought maybe it would be cheaper than the usual DC eatery....
Wrong! I paid $10 for a chilicheeseburger combo and the cheeseburger was gross, greasy, and low quality. The fries were ok, but way Over seasoned! Decent seasoning, but tons of it! I couldnt find a fry that was lightly seasoned enough to eat... I mean, I ate them all, but didnt enjoy it. The lemonade was good, but the combo only comes with a small cup. I was really not thrilled with this place... I wont be going back.

1  Thank Allen G
Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

This was one of the few places still open when we finished our bus tour of the National Mall. The food was wonderful. I had a regular Ollie's Burger, my son had the chili cheese burger and my husband had the Steak and Cheese sandwich. The chili was just dripping from my son's burger so I scooped a spoonful and used it to dip a few fries in. Delicious! Although, the fries are wonderfully seasoned and taste wonderful alone. My husbands sandwich looked great. I didn't try it but he said it tasted very good. the cheese and steak were melted together and it was dripping from between the bread. They also have homemade milkshakes and my son got a strawberry shake. They are definitely made with real strawberries. It was refreshing. We will be making it a regular visiting spot on our trips back to the district. Yum yum.