“Solid food, good value and excellent service”

Luna Grill And Diner
Ranked #807 of 3,237 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Neighborhood: Connecticut Ave/ K Street
Description: We're a great place to have breakfast, lunch, dinner and brunch. Our prices are reasonable and the food is great! We're a great lunch spot with outside seating during summer, and a meeting place to share a drink during Happy Hour. We're a home away from home serving family style comfort foods for dinner. Open 7 days! We have daily and weekly specials and offers posted on our website and facebook.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Solid food, good value and excellent service”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

This restaurant was recommended to us by the staff at a nearby bakery. We were told it was a good value in price and portions. We entered the teeny place around 1130 am and were immediately warmly greeted with a big smile and shown to a table. There were only a few other diners seated while we were there making it appear more spacious, but I would imagine if all of the tables were filled it would seem a bit claustrophobic. I had eaten breakfast a few hours earlier and was not ready for a meal, so I opted to order mine to-go. My husband, torn between several items on the menu, decided on the chicken and waffles with a side of two fried eggs. His huge platter arrived in a very short time. The waffle was large, thick and fluffy; like a pancake in waffle form. The chicken came in the form of tenders and was moist and juicy with no signs of grease. The only negative was that the butter served was very cold, almost frozen, so it did not spread easily. He enjoyed his selection and I was wishing I had ordered that as well after seeing it. I chose the chicken Caesar wrap with fries. It had a great flavor with moist chicken and just enough sauce. I was not too keen on the pinkish red tomato tortilla wrap. The flavor was fine, but the appearance made it look unappetizing; something like a fruit roll up in the unnatural color of dyed Play-doh. We were in DC for a few days and I must say out of all of our dining experiences this is the only place where we were greeted with a warm welcome from the start and it continued until we walked out the door. The food was good, nothing spectacular, but the excellent service given by our polite, attentive waitress made me give this place an extra bump up on the rating.

• Visited February 2013

Reston, Virginia
“Good food for a good price!”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Luna has very good food and affordable prices. The staff is very nice and friendly, quite attentive too. The menu has a good mix. Breakfast is my favorite meal, so it is awesome that you can order it at any time. The place itself is very small, and very popular so it is always crowded. Sometimes you have to wait, but it isnt terribly long. They have cool decor on the walls, and there is seating outside in the back.

• Visited December 2012
Houston, Texas
“Good food”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We did not like entering in the back of the restaurant. A real turnoff. But we were hungry, so we pushed through and really enjoyed the food here. i had the waffle and chicken strips. my boyfriend had a breakfast plate. We will revisit this restaurant when back in DC.

Visited January 2013
Ottawa
“Breakfast nor as good as I remembered”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

On nearly annual trips to DC, I make one or two stops at the Luna Grill for breakfast. While still good, this year I found the meal to have diminished in quality somewhat. The eggs and bacon were delicious, but the toast arrived unbuttered and cold. There was no fruit on the plate as there used to be. The orange juice was promoted as fresh-squeezed; if it was, it was definitely watered down.

• Visited January 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great for every meal, especially breakfast”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I love Luna primarily because it is one of the few places open early for breakfast on the weekends (not like most places, which open at 10). However, make sure you get there early because it will fill up! The breakfast selection is your standard fare, egg/bacon sandwiches, omelettes, waffles, eggs benedict, and so forth. However, while it is standard fare, it is also delicious and much better than your typical breakfast place. Also, their coffee is delicious and fair trade, if you care about that sort of thing.

Luna is also great for happy hour. A number of their appetizers are 1/2 price, as are a few of their drinks.

The serving staff are also quite good. I haven't had a problem with them and I generally see the same people time and time again, so that must mean something. Also, the prices are very reasonable considering the neighborhood.

PS - don't confuse this place, Luna Grill, with similarly-named Cafe Luna on P Street. This Luna is much better!

• Visited December 2012