“Elegant and refined”
Review of The Oval Room

The Oval Room
Reserve with OpenTable
The Oval Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #224 of 3,382 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Dupont Circle
Cross street: H & I
Transit: Faragut West (Orange and Blue Lines); Faragut North (Red Line)
Description: The Oval Room, an elegant & sophisticated restaurant, near Farragut Square across from the White House, which accounts for its popularity among politicians, journalists, lobbyists, lawyers, & former Presidents. The setting is contemporary & chic. It offers private dining. Its seasonal contemporary American cuisine has charmed critics & connoisseurs alike. USA Today said The Oval Room's flower-bedecked patio is one of the best outdoor dining experiences in the United States.
Reviewed January 31, 2013

First time at the Oval Room, although my dinner companion--a long time old friend--is a regular. It's an elegant and understated room. We were intrigued by so many choices that we had the tasting menu and wine flights to accompany. Amazing tastes and well selected wines, a bit heavy on the whites when some reds might have created greater variety. The sommelier was a bit "canned" in her approach at first until we chatted her up and learned the amazing knowledge she has--and my friend is a serious oenophile and gave her a run for her money. Her humor came out which created a much less stiff atmosphere. The contrasts between the courses was of great interest. Taste and individual artistic presentation were extraordinary and unique. In particular the sashimi tuna, sweet shrimp, cheddar dumplings and lobster were standouts, but hard to choose among eight courses. Impeccable service but not stuffy. Bravo Oval Room. My company and expense account is the poorer, but my friend and I are richer from the experience!

Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

This place is very close to the White House, so the location is ideal. I asked for a window seat so they set us away in a corner window seat. It was very intimate and romantic. We each got the pre fix menu at $35 each. My fiance got the ale beer (the only other type was a stout beer) and he loved the taste of the ale. For our first course I got the sashimi tuna and he got the shrimp. Both were exquisite. Smaller portions, lead to us eating everything. Second course, he got the yagu beef and I got the rockfish. Again, both were prepared beautifully and tastefully. For dessert, I had the chocolate tart and he had the pineapple upside cake. Every single on entrée melted in your mouth, we shared each others to compare, and both of us left with full bellies, and big smiles. Definitely worth a trip.

1  Thank Shannen N
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Had a business dinner at the Oval Room. The restaurant is just steps away from the White House and offered a very classy ambience to have a dinner with colleagues. The menu is diverse and delicious, veggie friendly and the chef was very willing to create a vegan meal off the menu for a colleague. The staff is also quite attentive (though at times slow). The menu is quite pricey though - our 9 person bill amounted a bill of $1000.

1  Thank ShankarP
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Really nice restaurant with great, original and very fresh ingredients. Good atmosphere and very good service. A lovely dining experience. The food is delicious and good value for money. Will go back if I am back in Washington DC any time soon.

Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

Read lots of reviews for this place that it's a must in DC. And was quite disappointed: it's small, too dark to eat, cold and not comfy at all! Moreover, extremely small portions were obviously overpriced. It did taste good, actually, but their 'on the smaller side' size of dishes was next to nothing! Left the place hungry and dissatisfied. So if you want to enjoy pricey teeny portions of delicious food this place is just for you!