“Best dinner I have had in years! ”
Review of The Oval Room

The Oval Room
Reserve with OpenTable
The Oval Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #90 of 3,484 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Dupont Circle
Cross street: H & I
Transit: Faragut West (Orange and Blue Lines); Faragut North (Red Line)
Description: The Oval Room, an elegant & sophisticated restaurant, near Farragut Square across from the White House, which accounts for its popularity among politicians, journalists, lobbyists, lawyers, & former Presidents. The setting is contemporary & chic. It offers private dining. Its seasonal contemporary American cuisine has charmed critics & connoisseurs alike. USA Today said The Oval Room's flower-bedecked patio is one of the best outdoor dining experiences in the United States.
Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

This place is very close to the White House, so the location is ideal. I asked for a window seat so they set us away in a corner window seat. It was very intimate and romantic. We each got the pre fix menu at $35 each. My fiance got the ale beer (the only other type was a stout beer) and he loved the taste of the ale. For our first course I got the sashimi tuna and he got the shrimp. Both were exquisite. Smaller portions, lead to us eating everything. Second course, he got the yagu beef and I got the rockfish. Again, both were prepared beautifully and tastefully. For dessert, I had the chocolate tart and he had the pineapple upside cake. Every single on entrée melted in your mouth, we shared each others to compare, and both of us left with full bellies, and big smiles. Definitely worth a trip.

1  Thank Shannen N

Reviewed January 17, 2013

Had a business dinner at the Oval Room. The restaurant is just steps away from the White House and offered a very classy ambience to have a dinner with colleagues. The menu is diverse and delicious, veggie friendly and the chef was very willing to create a vegan meal off the menu for a colleague. The staff is also quite attentive (though at times slow). The menu is quite pricey though - our 9 person bill amounted a bill of $1000.

1  Thank ShankarP
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Really nice restaurant with great, original and very fresh ingredients. Good atmosphere and very good service. A lovely dining experience. The food is delicious and good value for money. Will go back if I am back in Washington DC any time soon.

Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

Read lots of reviews for this place that it's a must in DC. And was quite disappointed: it's small, too dark to eat, cold and not comfy at all! Moreover, extremely small portions were obviously overpriced. It did taste good, actually, but their 'on the smaller side' size of dishes was next to nothing! Left the place hungry and dissatisfied. So if you want to enjoy pricey teeny portions of delicious food this place is just for you!

Reviewed December 10, 2012

The Oval Room is a favorite with the senators. It's a good place to go for a business lunch and proximity to the White House means that some tables are filled with "very important people".

The decor is a bit dated but the food is worth the trip. The duck rigatoni was by far my favorite part of the meal. The steak was large, delicious, and perfectly cooked. The portions are small, mind you, but tasty. The desert menu was very uninspiring.

This is Condoleezza Rice's favorite restaurant in DC (or so I am told) and whilst I might not agree with her politics I do approve of the former Secretary of State's taste when it comes to eating out!

Been to The Oval Room? Share your experiences!