“semi-authentic german”

Cuisines: German
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 18, 2012

had a great German atomsphere. the food was priced a little high. they charge you an extra 3.00 to share a plate but both you use got our on plates full of food. chocalte cake was to die for soo rich. 3 types of german breads were given as a app.

2  Thank bigbabies

Reviewed June 2, 2012

My fiancée and I had our rehearsal dinner here on 5/25/12 and it was wonderful. We had been talking back and forth for several months with the manager Alex and he was very accommodating as far as menu, time, cost, etc. The restaurant has 2 private dining rooms which can accommodate large groups. We had approximately 50 people in the Rathskeller and we all fit comfortably. The German food and beer was excellent. The waitstaff was attentive and everyone at the party got what they needed as soon as they asked for it. Some of our guests commented that our rehearsal dinner was better than many of the wedding receptions that they had been to. If we had to do it all over again we wouldn't change a thing.

3  Thank buff98216
Reviewed May 3, 2012

If you like German food, this is the place! Great decor and pleasant staff.

3  Thank BarbaraJA
Reviewed March 14, 2012

I always chose to eat German food for my birthday and being new to the DC/northern VA area we started searching for a place and found out about Old Europe from the website "Best German Restaurant in America". Old Europe was ranked 13th while the German restaurant we went to in Dallas was ranked first. I knew it wouldn't be as good as our old restaurant but hoped it would still be good.

We arrived on a Friday night around 6:15 and the place looked closed because there was nobody there. I realize it was a Friday night in Georgetown so I'm sure places don't "get hopping" until later but we were the only people there. We sat down and started checking out the menu and decor while waiting for our waitress. There are steins, paintings and the like decorating the restaurant but it still lacked a certain ambiance.

We put in our drink order and my husband had ordered the beer "Celebrator" because he had seen on their website they served it. They brought him a "Salvator" and he told them he had ordered a Celebrator and they told him they didn't have it. Why the waitress didn't tell him when he ordered, I don't know.

My son and I ordered the pork schnitzel and my husband ordered the Zwiebelsteak. They brought out a basket of bread but it was more like loaves of bread that they put in a basket rather than being fresh made. The salad they brought out was okay but nothing too exciting. My husband enjoyed the Zwiebelsteak but the pork schnitzel looked like something they brought in the frozen food section at the store. The schnitzel was too thick instead of being thin like it should be served, was very tough and the breading was bland, tasteless and not crispy at all. I ate part of one piece and didn't touch the other one at all. My son ate his entire entrée more out of being hungry than it being good. I had them box up my leftovers but I never did eat them, they just weren't up to par on even what I make.

The waitress asked if we wanted any dessert and I declined, I just wanted out of there and the desserts looked as though they too were bought at the store. After a stressful week at work I was really looking forward to going out and having a good time and I would have had as much fun sitting in traffic on the Beltway as I did here and at least the seats in the car are comfortable. I ended up walking out and waiting in the car until my husband paid the bill. When he came out he had a piece of apple strudel they had for me for my birthday and I didn't even eat that.

Before tip the bill for the three of us to have an entree each, my husband's beer, my rum and Coke and my son's Coke was around $90. I would have preferred to buy the ingredients myself and make the schnitzel and eat at home, it would have been more enjoyable and cheaper.

By the time we left there were two other tables of 2-3 people and a group of 10-12 and the restaurant was still less exciting than dinner time at the nursing home. If you're looking for good authentic German food with great atmosphere, keep looking.

2  Thank The_Picky_Traveler21
Reviewed February 28, 2012

This is an old standby, family-run since 1948. The place breathes Gemütlichkeit, very old-Europeanish (real or imagined)! Located on Wisconsin Ave in the Glover Park neighborhood. Forget the French cuisine; this is the German Küche, hearty and generous, with traditional entrees like Hasenpfeffer and Gulasch. Go for the Black Forest cake if you can handle a fancy desert. Wide selection of beers, limited wine list. Service is friendly. The tables are close together, and the noise level was rather high. (We visited the restaurant on a Saturday evening.)

1  Thank copernicus2011