“Was looking forward to this.....but.....”
Review of Ben's Chili Bowl

Ben's Chili Bowl
Get food delivered
Ranked #18 of 346 Quick Bites in Washington DC
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Takeout
Description: Ben's Chili Bowl is a black-owned American restaurant located in Washington, DC. Ben's Chili Bowl is a famous DC hot spot for American classics like half-smoked sausage, banana pudding, chili dogs, and even vegan chili. In part to our deeply rooted history, we've become a popular stop during tourist visits to the National Museum of African American History & Culture. We attract locals, tourists, and celebrities such as Barack Obama, Anthony Bourdain, and more. Stop by Ben's Chili Bowl on U Street for your favorite American classics, or book us for catering in the Washington, DC area.
Reviewed July 22, 2016

Bens chilli bowl was good. But not for the chilli, it was the atmosphere, maybe I had Texas chili and thought it was awesome. Bens is history, Ali was there even on the front of the fast-food section, lots of photos of celebs. Chili was runny, no beans, and a little watery. Maybe I don't get it. Did not do it for me. Its worth a visit. Sausages were extremely good, and that's half the iconic meals, Its not advertised but Bens-next-door is very good, and can bring all the food from the fast food place direct to your table + other stables such as spicy-shrimp, burger, etc.. good choice..

1  Thank David W
Write a reviewReviews (2,121)

Reviewed July 22, 2016

The chili dogs here are fantastic. The service was excellent, and they give you a lot of french fries. There's a gift shop next door.

Date of visit: June 2016
Reviewed July 16, 2016 via mobile

Highly recommended from Trip Advisor, I had to give this place a try. Great prices and real tasty food. Eating booths in the front and counter, tables located in the back. Outstanding chili, just the right spice,half- smokes are outstanding. Nice folks too! 5 Stars from California !

1  Thank 1Greg0007
Reviewed July 15, 2016

Ben's was on my DC bucket list, and I am glad we went. I had the half smoke (with chile...of course) and my wife got a burger. Service was friendly and excellent. The manager spent a few minutes with us as well. Went on a Thursday, and had no wait shortly after noon.

1  Thank BR_MikeD
Reviewed July 14, 2016

Was visiting family in DC and dining at expensive restaurants. A family member decided we should visit here because it has food very smiliar to a place in our hometown that only has curbside service. I ordered a half smoked with mustard and a bowl of chili. While our food was being prepared, we sat down at one of the tables in the back. The place was busy, and it was LOUD. We enjoyed every minute of it. Our food may not have been that healthy for us, but sometimes you got to have something greasy. Looking forward to my next visit in November 2016.

While we were eating our food, a tour group came in (all boys and teenagers) someone seated at a table near us yelled out, "Where you from?" The reply was (in a british accent), "The UK."

Date of visit: April 2016