“A DC Classic” 4 of 5 stars

Ben's Chili Bowl
Ranked #88 of 3,080 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American, Fast Food, Diner
Good for: Local cuisine, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: U Street Corridor
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A DC Classic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Great ambiance. This landmark serves up some of the best chili dogs, chili burgers and chili cheese fries. It's a great place to stop after having a few beers out at the bars on U Street. A must visit.

Visited June 2012

• Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Boerne, Texas
“Different than Texas Chili”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I saw a travel show on Washington, DC which mentioned Ben's Chili Bowl so I made my husband go there with me on our recent visit. We were not disappointed. The chili is definitely not Texas style, but it was very good especially on the hot dog. My husband got the half smoke with chili which he really enjoyed. Had to have fries which were very good also. Dessert: Strawberry/banana milkshake which was so thick we had to use a spoon. The walls are covered with famous faces who have visited. The music was so rocking that I was dancing in my seat. The line was long, but the service was outstanding. You order and they bring it to your table. You must go here when you visit WDC.

• Visited September 2012
San Antonio, Texas
“Ben's is a must stop”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Half Smoke and Chili Fries are incredible. You can also purchase online items after you have left DC and wish you had one. Great friendly staff and you may just see someone famous.

Visited August 2012
Belgium
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I came here after seeing Adam Richman nearly getting an orgasm after taking a bite from the Chili Halfsmoke.

Now that I've tasted it myself, I have to say: it's not the best chili I've ever had. It's not bad, but not that great either. It's a little too much sauce my taste and that makes the texture a little off for me. I guess I just like my chili a bit more solid. The spiciness is nice, but again: not the best.

I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who's out to get an amazing chili.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank FatalX
Beaumont, Texas
“I wish the scale went over five!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

My first trip to D.C. ended with a chili dog at this wonderful place. Packed with history and savory food, Ben's is a must stop.

The juke box flowed with Sam Cooke and Bib Marley. Superb.