“Great steaks and drinks!”

Clyde's of Georgetown
Reserve with OpenTable
Clyde's of Georgetown is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #50 of 3,322 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Bar
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Georgetown
Cross street: Wisconsin Avenue
Transit: Nearest Metro Stop is Roslyn or Foggy Bottom/GW. Both are a 15-minute walk, or a quick ride on the Circulator (Red Bus), or on the 30, 32, 34, 36 or 38 Metrobus from Foggy Bottom.
Description: Opened in 1963, Clyde's of Georgetown qualifies as an institution. This animated tavern in the heart of Washington's most famous neighborhood popularized saloon food and practically invented Sunday brunch. More than 50 years later, Clyde's continues the tradition, serving classic American cuisine to Georgetown locals and famous faces while passers-by stop in and mingle at the long oak bar. The re-designed interior is an open invitation to the restaurant's life and times with its many travel posters, paintings, and bronze statues. Clyde's of Georgetown remains a Washington classic.
Reviewed May 6, 2013

"A Georgetown institution" is how this was described to me. This brown stone area has lots of smart eateries and 'preppy' clothing stores within striking distances of the Universities in the area. We were a reasonably large group so we booked in advance. We had a drink at the bar first and then were led to our table (booth and long table). The decor is exposed brick interior with brown leather, tall ceilings etc.

We skipped starters heading straight for mains. This means I opted for the 14oz Kansas Strip Steak, rare. Which was fantastic. It came with large onion rings and asparagus. The steak was really well seasoned, rare as I asked and I don't think I said a word the entire time I was eating it. The person sat next to me did have to wait about 10 minutes before he got his steak which showed some disorganisation in the kitchen. He was pretty glad to get his food when it arrived.
I followed this up with a sorbet of three different flavours - to be honest they all tasted of the same thing much to my surprise.

I would happily come back to this place (in fact I tried later on the same trip) - the food was good, the service was good and it is in a nice area of DC. The pricing is pretty good too (which always helps).

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Average food but the atmosphere was great! Loved the décor and the wait staff was very pleasant. We went on Friday night expecting a long wait but we walked right in! Their specialty cocktails weren't very good but the BBQ Chicken flatbread is a must!!

1  Thank cwask
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I have never went to a Clyde's owned restaurant that i do not like. My favorites, Old Ebbitt Grill and Clydes's Reston.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

We ate at Clyde's in Georgetown. When my husband sent his cold waffle back, another appeared within minutes. Do they have the waffles already made and just sitting out on the counter? The pulled pork sandwich was delicious. The service was excellent.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

Yes, the good old days, when customer service mattered. We had dinner there this past weekend. Our appetizer was late coming out. The manager delivered it to our table and apologized for the wait, then made sure our entrees were brought out promptly. At the end of a delicious dinner (the penne with andouille sausage was fabulous) we found the appetizer had been removed from the bill as a courtesy for making us wait. That is service. I sing the praises of Clyde's and will definitely visit their establishment again on my next trip to the DC area.