“Awful from Start to Finish”
Review of B Smith's - CLOSED

B Smith's
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: North Capitol Street
Transit: Take Washington DC's Metro Rail Red Line to Union Station. B.Smith's is located on the street level at the end of Union Station's East Hall. Union Station is also a major Amtrak, Metro Bus and taxicab hub.
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I live in Washington DC and was at Union Station. I stopped into B. Smith for a late lunch on a Saturday and ate in the bar. There were two bartenders and I asked one about the lunch menu. One stated the best thing was an item called the swamp thing and defined it as seafood in a dijon mustard sauce with greens. What I got was a bowl of slop. The dish lacked any definition or taste. The sauce was a yellowish creme sause with no mustard flavor. The greens were at the bottom of the bowl with the seafood and sauce on top with some type of fried vegetable on top for garnish. Since everthing was sloppped in the bowl the fried vegetable was mushy and flavorless. The chef would have been farther ahead to serve the seafood and sauce over rice with greens on the side. The greens had a nice flavor but got lost in the flavorless sauce. If you go, do not order this dish. The two bartenders could have cared less that I was at the bar. There were two intoxicated men at the end of the bar talking loudly about the women of Miami beach and drug use. Instead of waiting on me and the two other patrons in the bar the bartenders were talking to the intoxicated patrons and serving them additional drinks. I had to ask for a glass of water, the check, etc. One of the bartenders checked on me once and I stated the food was "ok." This should have been a signal to understand why the food was not great. Since the experience was so bad, as I was leaving I stopped at the hostess stand to find he manager. The manager was leaning against the stand talking to the hostess. The manager did not care about my experience and said "o well" rather than trying to make it right or apologize. If the manager was working the restaurant the manager would have know about the issues with the staff. Simply put, awful from start to finish. I will never return again.

1  Thank TravelingNN

Reviewed February 3, 2013

On Jan.22, party of five arrived at 620p for our 630 revervation, did not get seated until approx 720p, and it was not all that busy, but understaff. The server
seemed to be new, but was very nice. It wasnt his fault. We took about another hour and 10min for our food after the order was taken.one of my friend after completed eating, that's when they were brought out the side of rice. Coincidentally when we were leaving, we saw the owner having a little chit chat with a table so we waited for her, she greeted us, i aske her if we could take a picture, she said yes after she uses the bathroom, so we waited on the side about 10 mins, on her way out she took another turn irrespectful of her guests and promise, i found that distasteful. i decided now to go and use the restroom after, prior to me using the rest room they sad it was close for cleaning. well when i went in, i dont know what they were doing because it was funky, smelled like urine and dirty, i could not use it. We left!!

Reviewed February 2, 2013

I hosted a business dinner for 8 at one of my favorite restaurants in Washington, D.C., B Smith's. It's located in historic Union Station and is a national landmark for good reason - it's elegant and beautiful.

For appetizers we shared the Catfish Fingers, Fried Green Tomatoes, Crispy Calamari and an entree order of Grilled Shrimp and Grits. Half of our group had never tried fried green tomatoes or grits before so it was a pleasant surprise when all agreed that they were delicious. Only the Crispy Calamari disappointed - it was poorly prepared, not crispy and just barely room temperature when served.

For entrees, we tried the Swamp Thang (excellent), Chicken and Gravy (very, very good but a small portion), Braised Baby Back Ribs (excellent) and Grilled Prime Rib Steak (good, but not much flavor).

We also shared multiple sides of Collard Greens (exceptional) and Sweet Potato Fries (very good).

The restaurant was busy but the service was attentive, although a little uneven as delivery of both appetizers and entrees seemed unnecessarily staggered. Only one waiter for a table of 8 and no one helped him deliver the food.

I prefer the southern style dishes more than the cajun - the kitchen just seems more talented with fried chicken, grits and fried tomatoes.

B Smith's is still one of my favorites in D.C. and I highly recommend it. If you're a native of the Bayou, I recommend the southern dishes.

1  Thank JMCurley
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Visited DC this past week end and had an early dinner at B Smith's. Was seated immedialey and service was good. I loved the cajun flair on soul food. I had the catfish, mac and cheese, and collard greens; it was really good! I was too stuffed to have dessert; next time!

At the end of my meal I received a personal tour of the place by the Maitre d. I didn't realize the historic significance of the restaraunt! Will definitely eat here again!

Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

I wish I had better things to say about this restaurant, since I would love to support black owned businesses, but the service at this restaurant ruins the experience for me.

The location is prime, the restaurant is decorated nicely, and the food was actually pretty good. Too bad it was like pulling teeth to get someone to come wipe off our table... Or refill our water glasses... Or bring out this "amazing" food. And I didn't realize that it was so difficult to say "you're welcome" when someone says thank you.

B. Smith did happen to be there last night and she wad more than gracious. She took pictures with patrons, smiled at everyone, and just had a positive demeanor. Beautiful woman!

Oh yeah- and the greens weren't great :/