“Exceptional in Spades” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of 1789 Restaurant

1789 Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
1789 Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 3,189 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Georgetown
Cross street: Prospect & 36th Streets
Description: An upscale institution sitting on a quiet residential street in Georgetown, 1789 Restaurant has the charm of a historic country inn. Servicing classic and contemporary American cuisine, Executive Chef Samuel Kim's contemporary, seasonal menu blends the flavors of fresh regional ingredients into unique and delicious dishes. Pastry Chef Lauren Petri takes a modern twist on classic desserts. Awards and Recognition: 2014 Wine Spectator Award of Excellence Zagat Top Ratings in Food, Service, Decor, and Most Popular DiRona Award Winner 3 Stars from 2014 Washingtonian magazine
South Lebanon, Ohio
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Exceptional in Spades”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2014

Terrific Service from everyone from the greeter at the front door to the busman. My waiter, Stelios is one of the best ever. The food was amazing. I shall return.

Scottsdale, Arizona
“Memorable special dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

My daughter just got engaged and I was in town for a prearranged visit. I took her and her fiancé to celebrate.
They had a special 3 course meal special which all of us ordered.
My cucumber gazpacho with lump crab was awesome. My daughter enjoyed the squid ink calamari and her fiancé also liked the heirloom tomatoes.
Main courses included rockfish, branzino, and beef. All of us enjoyed our meals.
Dessert concluded with peaches and cream,( came out like a tart), Black Forest cherry pie, and a chocolate creation. The cherry pie was the best.
They had personalized menus with both their names and congratulations on it.
My only suggestion to the bartender would be to include more than one olive in your martinis. I did get more after I asked.
The bread basket with different spreads was also delicious.
Pricey but good for special occasions.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank msacks71
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great Meal except the Dessert”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

Eating at 1789 on July 14th (to celebrate my wife's birthday) I had expected a special menu. But then 1789 has nothing to do with the French Revolution but rather with the founding of Georgetown!

The menu was not French but contemporary American. Still, we were not disappointed. The scallops and duck confit were amazing as starters, and the rockfish was cooked to perfection.

Service was very good, and they acknowledged my advance comment that it was my wife's birthday by adding a candle to the dessert and giving her a copy of the menu.

Another reviewer had commented adversely about the desserts, and I have to agree. The summer pudding was nothing like the English style summer pudding; in particular, the sponge base was tasteless whereas it should be soaked in fresh raspberry/blueberry juice. And where was the fruit?

The other negative was the location of our table in a corner where the air-con was not so effective. However, the ambience created by the old building made that issue less important.

Overall, though, it was a very good meal -- expensive, but not overly so.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Graham C
Madrid, Spain
“Exceptionally good meal, wine and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014

We were a lively group of 9 friends/colleagues from the USA, Canada, Spain, Scotland and Hong Kong who walked across the Potomac River from the Marriot Lee Bridge int historic Georgetown for dinner at 1789 (The date Georgetown was founded we were told).

The building itself is old, beautiful and has a history in itself and each of the many cosy dining rooms is decorated in its unique style exhibiting paintings and artifacts for time past.

Expectations were high by those that had dined there before but were far exceeded throughout the meal. The new head chef Mr Samuel Kim from Korea had previously worked then, then in a very top NYC restaurant before returning 3 weeks before our visit. We were in luck indeed!!

The menu, which changes daily and focuses on the very best local produce catered for all tastes be they fish such as rockfish, seafood or such treats at local lamb cooked in two styles of a very slow cooked rabbit dish (de-boned), vegetarians were well catered for too.

The cheeses were delicious and truly artisanal.

Its worth checking out the detail on their website and meet the growers and producers of all their ingredients.

We had both white and red wine on the table but the Malbec, Grand Reserve whose Italian name I do not recall that could compete with some of the very top Barola wines from Italy.

I would like to thank the most excellent staff for not only advising and serving to perfection but adding with quiet humour and good spirit to the thoroughly enjoyable evening.

Visited July 2014
3 Thank superfoodieMadrid
Saint Louis, Missouri
“End of week dinner with my fiancee”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014

After a week of meetings in DC, my Fiancée flew in for mini vacation. We celebrated at 1789, The evening was near perfect. We were greeted at the curb by a maître de with an umbrella. The staff was friendly and gracious. Surprisingly they offered only one off-the-menu item, dry aged prime rib. The Blue 61 locally-made blue cheese was fantastic. We had a Tuscan Vermentino, which is unusual on a wine list. My entrée was Branzino a Mediterranean sea bass that I had never had before. My date's dinner was a cheese ravioli which was very tasty but almost like a pierogi, a bit heavy. The fresh blackberry tart for desert was fantastic and the after dinner drink menu extensive with some small batch bourbons I had not seen before.

• 3 of 5 bubbles