“Solid great evening”
Review of 1789 Restaurant

1789 Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
1789 Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 3,322 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Bar
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Georgetown
Cross street: Prospect & 36th Streets
Description: An upscale institution sitting on a quiet residential street in Georgetown, 1789 Restaurant has the charm of a historic country inn. Servicing classic and contemporary American cuisine, Executive Chef Samuel Kim's contemporary, seasonal menu blends the flavors of fresh regional ingredients into unique and delicious dishes. Pastry Chef Lauren Petri takes a modern twist on classic desserts. Awards and Recognition: 2014 Wine Spectator Award of Excellence Zagat Top Ratings in Food, Service, Decor, and Most Popular DiRona Award Winner 3 Stars from 2014 Washingtonian magazine
Reviewed September 15, 2013

My wife and I have been here at least 25 times in the same number of years. Living in Georgetown we have many choices but this is a special place for us and it is always fun and relaxing. The latest chefs and food is very good and the wait staff always pleasant and professional. Having just spend a week in Quebec (with some of the best food of my life) I can compare the duck very favorably. Also the pastry chef and desserts are at an all time high. Nice work 1789 staff, thank you.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

We climbed the exorcist steps to get here, but it was worth it.
I had one of the cheese appetizers, i love cheese!
I ordered a seafood dish, i cannot recall its name. It had shrimp and the wide dark pasta strip. The sauce was creamy and delicious.
The atmosphere was tranquil. The service was excellent. I loved the restaurant.

1  Thank jessero
Reviewed September 6, 2013

The last time we dined at 1789 it was disappointing. We came back after an absence and it appears they have their groove back. We had an absolutely fabulous dinner. We can recommend a number of items. As starters we loved the Brussels sprout salad and the duck in pastry. For main courses the halibut and the duck breast were truly superb. The assortment of ice cream as well as the chocolate cake were divine choices for dessert. I am so happy that the quality of food has returned. We will definitely be back!

Please be aware that if you have any physical issues the restrooms are up several flights of stairs. It would not be a fun surprise if you have any challenges.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We had our second wedding anniversary dinner here and informed them at the time of reservations. Upon arrival they knew our name and our anniversary and were so accomidating!! I was really touched at how many of the staff congradulated us on our special day.
I am pregnant but peaked into the bar area... get there early and enjoy drinks if you can. It was cozy and warm and everyone in there looked like they were having a good time- and it was only 7pm!!!
The waiters and bus people were prompt with service and very knowledgeable about the menu selections. Then the food arrived and we were were more than satisfied. They added very personal touches to every part of the meal and even gave us a card and anniversary menue as parting gifts. We cant wait to go back for our next special occasion.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

A very tasteful setting, an attentive waiter and great food. The winelist is extensive and offers nice choices. I can especially recommend the duck confit as a first course, this was really brilliantly executed. For entrees, my wife had chicken in a lemon sauce and I went for the bass, both dishes were very pleasing. An address to fondly remember.