“top notch”
Review of 1789 Restaurant

1789 Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
1789 Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 3,283 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Georgetown
Cross street: Prospect & 36th Streets
Description: An upscale institution sitting on a quiet residential street in Georgetown, 1789 Restaurant has the charm of a historic country inn. Servicing classic and contemporary American cuisine, Executive Chef Samuel Kim's contemporary, seasonal menu blends the flavors of fresh regional ingredients into unique and delicious dishes. Pastry Chef Lauren Petri takes a modern twist on classic desserts. Awards and Recognition: 2014 Wine Spectator Award of Excellence Zagat Top Ratings in Food, Service, Decor, and Most Popular DiRona Award Winner 3 Stars from 2014 Washingtonian magazine
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My husband and I got engaged at 1789 several years ago and have dined there a few times since, most recently last night. We have always dined downstairs, but last night we were seated upstairs. The upstairs dining rooms are more elegant, less crowded, and have a more intimate feel. Tables are farther apart. Sit upstairs if you can!

The food is great, with excellent presentation. They use almost all local ingredients, including local humanely raised meat, which I really appreciate. The menu is updated daily and is posted online, so if you are thinking of going to this restaurant, check out their menu to get an idea of what they serve.

Service is attentive, but not rushed. The restaurant has a dress code, which is great because it preserves the classy ambiance. This is a wonderful restaurant for a special occasion.

There are newer reviews for 1789 Restaurant

Reviewed February 14, 2013

Our 25th Anniversary of being together, and we wanted something special. 1789 surpassed any expectations we had. From the valet parking, the lovely Asian gal who warmly greeted us with "Happy Anniversary" (I made reservations on OpenTable.com), to Paul who served us and Hanna who poured our Prosecco, it was a treat. One which I would like to soon repeat!

Reviewed February 13, 2013

My girlfriends and I decided to take in a meal at 1789 with Restaurant Week prices. I think our reservation was booked through Open Table and we seated quickly. The wait staff was very attentive and answered all our crazy questions. Two of us selected the wine pairings with our meals and were not disappointed. Each glass was well identified and perfectly matched to the spectacular meals. I think we tried almost everything on the Restaurant Week menu and shared bites with each other. Will definitely go back here again and again (as the checkbook allows)! Also, those with food allergies, don't fear - we were asked at the beginning of the meal about them and I was warned when items that might aggravate me were brought near the table.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

Were it not for restaurant week, I might have passed on this hidden treasure in Georgetown. Inside a multi-level older restored house is an elegant , lovely decorated restaurant with charm and charisma. Because of the restaurant week 3 course special, my wife engaged in the included wine pairing, while I supplemented my meal with ice tea. The steak I had was simply marvelous, and I cannot say I have had much better an appetizer as the brussels sprout salad that tickeled my taste buds and begged me to cry " more, more!" The bread and accompanying condiments were fresh and delicious. Both the waiter and wine Semolier were especially helpful since my wife is gluten free. They accommodated us in all ways and spent time to discuss the courses and recipes. The complimentary squash soup, and the final dish of biscotti's and assorted treats framed a completely enjoyable dinner. I would have no reservation returning and paying full price.

1  Thank steven g
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I have been going to the 1789 when I am in DC for more decades than I care to remember. It is one of the few places where the essential ambiance has not changed (but not run-down nor frayed, well maintained) and yet the food is better than ever). My server was not only very professional yet discret and unobtrusive, but very, very knowledgable about the menue. On this trip I accepted both of his recommendations (he did not volunteer, but waited for me to ask when I was torn among the options on the menue) were homeruns! I highly recommend this place if you like well prepared food, good wine and a more formal and quite type of restaurant (no chrome and glass and loud music here).