“Enjoyable meal - nice atmosphere”
Review of 1789 Restaurant

1789 Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
1789 Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 3,342 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Georgetown
Cross street: Prospect & 36th Streets
Description: An upscale institution sitting on a quiet residential street in Georgetown, 1789 Restaurant has the charm of a historic country inn. Servicing classic and contemporary American cuisine, Executive Chef Samuel Kim's contemporary, seasonal menu blends the flavors of fresh regional ingredients into unique and delicious dishes. Pastry Chef Lauren Petri takes a modern twist on classic desserts. Awards and Recognition: 2014 Wine Spectator Award of Excellence Zagat Top Ratings in Food, Service, Decor, and Most Popular DiRona Award Winner 3 Stars from 2014 Washingtonian magazine
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We celebrated our anniversary weekend in DC and had dinner at 1789. The dinner was very good and the wine that was recommended was also quite good. The resturant had personality and was a cozy place that seemed to have a good deal of conversation and character. We would return on our next visit to D.C. The menu they gave us to take home was printed for our anniversary. They were very attentive and friendly.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

The fantastic surroundings of this restaurant starts your dinning experience of well, it feels like a Dickensian house. Warmly greatered by staff who were happy to help and offer advice on the menu and were able to accommodate dietary requests (I was 23 weeks pregnant at the time). The food was sumptuous and locally sourced ( the restaurant is very proud of their sustainably credentials). We really enjoyed the lamb rack and the Virginia ham. My husband raved about the cheese plate and I would recommend the Praline bar for desert. Wine list by the glass was well thought out.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

Our meal was incredible and the server was excellent. The Chef, Anthony, is from Detroit, MI and was personable and came to our table to check on our meal!!! I had the lamb on a bed of black quinoa and it ROCKED.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

The ambience inside this restaurant is great, lots of cozy nook rooms. The service was excellent, it was quite amazing how fast dishes came out, and the quality of the servers who were all fantastic.
The bread, with 3 choices of bread, and 3 choices of butter/oil - YUM!
And then we were served a tiny taste of sweet potato soup from the chef which was divine.
I had cauliflower soup which was just ok, I think it needed seasoning.
The scallop appetizer was delicious.
For mains, the Ribeye was awesome! I had the Icelandic Cod, and it was a little disappointing.... I didnt like the skin still being on, I should have asked, and it was served with quinoa or something? just was looking across the table and wishing I had that ribeye and the potato's...oh well...next time.
Desert was incredible too.
Pricey, yes...about $180 for 2 but it was a wonderful experience!

Reviewed November 19, 2012

I took my fiance there for his birthday. The food was a little pricey for the portion sizes that you recieved. However, it was very good especially the duck confit appetizer my fiance ordered. I would definitley order it next time. The only complaint I have is that the staff kept thinking it was my birthday after I had corrected them several times.