“We had a great experience !!!”
Review of Chinatown Garden

Chinatown Garden
Ranked #1,813 of 3,367 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

We chose this place because we were walking by with a hungry 9 year old. It was full so we thought it was a good sign. My phone had just died walking over so I couldn't see any of the poor reviews on here. We were seated right away, we had water and tea immediately . We ordered the hot and sour soup which was very good. We had General Tso chicken, chicken with cashews and chicken lo mein. Our food came out quickly, everything was great . Very large portions. It wasn't the best we've ever had, but it was very good. Our waitress was very kind and pleasant, no problems with service at all. They were a full house and kept turning over tables like crazy. I didn't hear or see anyone that seemed unhappy. I can only say that our experience here was excellent. As far as tipping, we had no arguments. I think there are many people who look for reasons to be cheap when it comes to tipping - if that's the case go to a counter and order takeout ! Everyone working there was working hard and deserved a good tip. From my experience there on Nov. 9th I would recommend this place .

1  Thank loribob67

Reviewed November 6, 2013

I went there with a family, party of 7, the service was good, but the food was kind of ok. The staff was very friendly and attentive. We really enjoyed, the meal was a little bit oily but fine but the portions are huge! One plate serves two (not so hungry). The water has some taste, so I suggest you to not drink water there. Public Parking (which is not so public) in front per $15. Overall, was nice. Near to the Friendship Gate for a picture, little bit far from the crowded.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

We ate here only last night ( Sunday 27th Oct) we were walking around Chinatown & saw this place, several people inside, so thought it must be ok! Seriously wished we hadn't have walked past!

Our appetisers were okay, however the main dishes were so oily, I couldn't eat them. The fried rice had a layer of oil floating on the bottom of the plate, which was gross. The other chicken dish was very tasteless.
Service was bad, our water was never refilled & the plates from the appetisers were never removed until the mains were served. We were sharing the mains & the 1st one came out, but there was a 5 min delay for the next.
When the bill came, after asking for it about 3 times, they added an 18% tip! I wasn't happy leaving that tip, so I left approx 10% as I didn't think either the service or the food was worth even 10%. The waitress noticed we didn't leave the amount that they demanded & made a scene & said you must pay the full amount. I said on the menu it states tip will be added for party of 6 or more, we are only 2 & I don't think the service we received is worth what you are demanding! I was quite annoyed & reluctantly left what they wanted, just to get out of the place.
I have no problem with tipping as long as the food & service are worth it, however I do have a problem with a restaurant adding the tip to the bill as they are the ones deciding what tip should be left. Just don't get that!
Do yourself a favour & avoid this place.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I've eaten here many times over the years, and this was my most recent visit. I was with my lady this visit. Despite the bad reviews others have posted, I've never had a problem here in the decades I've been patronizing this place. This restaurant "survived" the rebirth of Chinatown, and the hard dusty years of building the new convention center, and watching other restaurants bite the dust (Remember the China Doll across the street?). They survived for a reason, and it's the food and service. Perfect service, and the staff was very attentive. We were seated immediately. Ice water and hot tea were already on the table so you could have something to drink while ordering. Very thoughtful. Our order was taken immediately. When we needed more rice, tea, water, whatever, it was brought immediately. The bill was brought at just the right time. No delays in anything. The food was served hot, and everything was tasty and well prepared. With the bill they brought not only the usual fortune cookies, but a sliced orange for us. They go the extra step. The tables have white plastic on them, but it's well done, and they keep the place very neat and presentable. This is an established place, with a long history here, and this is the way it's been for decades. They know what they're doing here. We ordered a Volcano drink to share (Great for dates guys!), and it was very good as usual (served full strength, so you will get a buzz). They brought it out at the same time as the Pupu Platter, and that was served hot, and the items were all very tasty and savory. This is a great way to impress a date by the way, with both "flaming" items hitting the table at once. Other diners WILL stop and look. After that, we ordered the Kung Pao Chicken, and it was enough to satisfy our appetites after the Pupu Platter. We took the remainder home actually. Large portions here. Prices are very reasonable for what you get. This is the New Chinatown, remember. If anything, they're probably less expensive here than at other places on the new strip. This is a good, reliable, established restaurant in Chinatown, and I highly recommend it. /// For the blind/visually impaired customers/travelers, there are several steep steps leading up into the main door of the restaurant, but there are sturdy handrails on each side, so you should have no problem negotiating it. The staff were kind enough to open the inner door, and make sure that I was guided into the restaurant safely. Exercise the same caution while leaving the place too.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I went there with a friend and two teenagers, the service was excellent and the food delicious. The staff was very friendly and attentive. We really enjoyed the meal!