“Stay away from this place!”
Review of Chinatown Garden

Chinatown Garden
Ranked #1,761 of 3,463 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

I wish I would have read the reviews before we decided to eat here! I wanted to eat in Chinatown and this restaurant looked nice. We should have walked out when the rude waitress came to our table and took our order. I told her I had never been here before and would love some suggestions. She looked at me like I had two heads and I had insulted her. My husband ordered sweet and sour chicken with rice and I ordered chicken and broccoli. He asked how much extra was it to get noodles instead of rice and she rudely started tapping the menu. We placed our order and she came back with what we ordered and a extra we did not order. When we td her we did not order that she caused a scene and started yelling! We were so embarrassed. We asked to speak to manager and he did not say a word. He just removed item off our table. I went to him later and two other employees and told them how rude we were treated and I did not appreciate it. Not one person apologized. We then saw same waitress yelling at another customer! This was an awful experience and the food was not good. Do not eat here.

1  Thank Laura S

Reviewed July 27, 2013

The bathrooms smelled of stale urine. The carpets haven't been cleaned for a LONG time. The food is terrible (all of us suffered from post-Chinatown Garden indigestion). Plus, it's expensive. This is a no-brainer - don't go.

1  Thank TimVA
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Specialty here is soft shell crabs which was good. Taste of the greens was exceptionally good. Prices are up probably due to the looks of their overhead sporting some ambience.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Tired and hungry from a long day of doing "touristy" things, we walked to the Chinatown section of DC (they really call it that- even on the maps) and found the Chinatown Garden. They were pretty busy but they quickly seated us and the service got even better from there. Our server was friendly, polite and very helpful with making our selections. The corses arrived at appropriate intervals (I despise having entrees arrive halfway through the appetizer) and the food was great! We ordered some classic Chinese dishes and some dishes we had never tried but our server suggested. We loved everything! The portions are generous, so plan to take some home. The atmosphere is typical of Chinese restaurants you've been in before, but what makes this place special is the excellent food and servic. I definitely recommend you give it a try.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

The food at this restaurant was excellent, that said, the service is what brings this review down. I will say that we had a group of twenty teenagers who were sunburnt and hungry. That said, we were not helped accordingly. We sat upstairs which was fine, and waited on promptly, but when asking how big portions were because we were trying to all share some dishes, we were told just one per plate, that was wrong, they brought us huge platters of food, giving us more leftovers than we knew what to do with. Once we ordered the food was brought out of the kitchen at odd intervals. They also, as one other reviewer said, brought us bowls of white rice that we hadn't ordered. The food was very good though, the General Tzo's Chicken was the best I have had as well as the Fried Dumplings. The Calamari is not very good, and the Crab Rangoons are nothing to shout about, but overall an alright experience.