“Excellent food, great service”
Review of Chinatown Garden

Chinatown Garden
Ranked #1,753 of 3,340 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Tired and hungry from a long day of doing "touristy" things, we walked to the Chinatown section of DC (they really call it that- even on the maps) and found the Chinatown Garden. They were pretty busy but they quickly seated us and the service got even better from there. Our server was friendly, polite and very helpful with making our selections. The corses arrived at appropriate intervals (I despise having entrees arrive halfway through the appetizer) and the food was great! We ordered some classic Chinese dishes and some dishes we had never tried but our server suggested. We loved everything! The portions are generous, so plan to take some home. The atmosphere is typical of Chinese restaurants you've been in before, but what makes this place special is the excellent food and servic. I definitely recommend you give it a try.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

The food at this restaurant was excellent, that said, the service is what brings this review down. I will say that we had a group of twenty teenagers who were sunburnt and hungry. That said, we were not helped accordingly. We sat upstairs which was fine, and waited on promptly, but when asking how big portions were because we were trying to all share some dishes, we were told just one per plate, that was wrong, they brought us huge platters of food, giving us more leftovers than we knew what to do with. Once we ordered the food was brought out of the kitchen at odd intervals. They also, as one other reviewer said, brought us bowls of white rice that we hadn't ordered. The food was very good though, the General Tzo's Chicken was the best I have had as well as the Fried Dumplings. The Calamari is not very good, and the Crab Rangoons are nothing to shout about, but overall an alright experience.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We wanted to go to a movie in the area and had some time to kill. We were hungry and did not want to eat the junk in the movie theater. The amount of food was large and tasted great! I enjoyed the pot of Chinese tea and a glass of wine while we ate. The servers were very friendly, attentive and service was good.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

We are not familiar with this area and so didn't do a very good job of researching in advance. While the look of the restaurant is apealing, we were not impressed. The wait staff was very abrupt. The tableware well used and not very appealing. I considered getting up and leaving after being seated, but my manners made me stay.

The wait staff kind of hovered by the entry waitching us while we ate. One gentleman did stop over and ask if everything was alright and our waitress kept our glasses full of water.

We ordered the vegetable spring rolls, egg drop soup and sweet and sour chicken. our favorites when eating chinese. Not sure what the crustos were they brought along with the meal. (I'm not a Chinese food afficianado, but they reminded me of Taco Time sugar crustoss, but without the sugar and cinnamon. They were not very crisp and somewhat oily.

The fried rice that came with the dish was plain white rice that had an odd odor. I initially put some on my plate, but had to remove it to another plate and move it away from me as I couldn't take the smell. I hate to make this sound like some very rude reviews on here, but the best I can compared it to was a "farm yard" smell.

The vegetable spring rolls were tasty, but oily.

The sweet and sour chicken was over cooked and dry, but the sauce was tasty.

Our bill was promptly placed on the table long before we were finished, as if they needed the space, though the restaurant was not busy. At least we got a good fortune in our cookie...

Reviewed February 3, 2013

We were in DC for the car show and tried to go to Matchbox Chinatown. But it had a 90 minute wait at 8:30 p.m. so we walked across the street a block and found Chinatown Garden. Two thirds of the tables were full so we figured it had to be ok. We were pleasantly surprised. The service was very good (they bring you a pot of hot tea) and the food was overaly pretty good. The wontons were just ok (fried too much). But the Seasame Chicken, General Tso's chicken and pork fried rice were very good. Really liked the white rice. Fortune cookie and orange slices accompany the check. It is not cheap. 4 glasses of house Wine, 1 ginger ale, 1 sprite, 3 entrees and 1 fried rice came to $95. We did have lots of left overs so that was a plus. We would visit again if in the area.