“Do Raku!”

Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Dupont Circle
Description: Japanese Kitchen + Bar
Reviewed June 6, 2012

We rode the DC Metro from downtown to visit this small, crowded diner. It was a delight! The sushi was fresh and tasty. The Bento Box was equally yummy. The sushi was some of the freshest that we have ever had - expertly prepared and presented. The sashimi was to die for! Raku-an Asian diner is worth the journey.

3  Thank Kepresto
There are newer reviews for Rakuya

Reviewed May 28, 2012

Raku-an Asian diner was a find on a recent trip to DC. Nestled in the Dupont Circle neighborhood, the restaurant offers a variety of tasty sushi and Asian fare. The tuna pizza, our starter was a must, with wonderful flavors. My seabass was delicate and delicious. My hubby's bento was chock full of fresh and delicious sashami, tempura, seaweed salad, shumai and a spring roll. They also have a full service bar. Eating is out or in. We opted for in due to the DC humidity, and it was a bit noisy, but the food definitely compensated for this. Service was friendly and prices fair for the quality.

2  Thank Heidi D
Reviewed April 26, 2012

My husband was in the mood for Japanese on our trip to Washington DC. Unfortunately for him there were no habachi restaurants nearby. Fortunately for me, this restaurant was just a short Metro ride from the Smithsonian Museums. My son and I both had sushi, and my husband and my son's buddy each had bento boxes. Let me explain that I love sushi, but developed an allergy to fish and shell fish. Since then I have only ordered vegetarian sushi. Let me tell you, this was not only the most gorgeous looking plate of sushi, but also the best I have ever eaten! The wait staff was wonderful and accommodating to my picky 14 yr old son, who would not eat any of the rolls without making some changes. The bento boxes were huge, and very well received. A side note, my son's friend's bento had steak served over mashed potatoes. It was quite amusing to watch him eat his mashed potatoes with chop sticks!

1  Thank basisdiva
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Had two dinners in 5 days there. Bento boxes are huge and excellent as is the tempura and stir frys. Crowded happy place.Unpretentious and full of surprises like the complimentary dessert that arrived out of the blue.

1  Thank CandNMontreal
Reviewed April 24, 2012

Had a fabulous Coconut Mojito to begin the evening and a slamming rice dish shrimp and basil-moderately spicy. Great serving size. Attentive service without a rush. Very reasonably priced. Yum. OH and great conversation and company to finish off the meal. Very close to Metro stop.

1  Thank Durham123