“Excellent Food - Iffy Service”
Review of Austin Grill - E. St. NW - CLOSED

Austin Grill - E. St. NW
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I go to Austin's Grills when I can because I love their menu (Road House Burrito is my favorite) and the food comes a a very reasonable (especially for DC price). However if the service received this time was repeated, I would hesitate to come back.

It took a good while for the free chips and salsa (which are also very good) to arrive and a while to get our order placed and served even though the place did not seem overwhelmed. In our party of four, one of the orders was incorrect (entire meal missing the beef topping) and then two of the four desserts were wrong. They did correct the problems, but it added up to an unnecessarily long dinner "event".

1  Thank Dave427

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Well, we did visit while the NCAA tournament was in town and it was quite busy. We were told it would be a 40 minute wait, so we stayed. It ended up only being a 10 minute wait......to get a table, and some water. That was it. Our waiter was either out of his element or it was his first time ever as a server. Not sure which and don't care to know. We sat for an hour or so before any sort of food arrived, with the help of the manager (finally). The manager, Tony, was very apologetic and offered complimentary desserts and drinks, but at that point, the damage had been done. I knew when the server was writing our order on the cardboard at the back on his order pad that we would never see our food. I was right. I don't think he ever entered the order, but then kept coming to the table, blaming it on the kitchen. If the kitchen was at fault, no one else would have had food. They did. The food was marginal and reminscent of Chili's. Yuck. Oh well, these things happen, I guess. I don't recomment this particular restaurant.

1  Thank Laraine322
Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

We were looking for a quick bite to eat. Just down the street from the Starbucks was the Austin Grill, we decide to go in and see what they had. We went out with her 3 kids, we were seated immediately and were able to get our food probably within 15 minutes after ordering. I ordered a hangover burger which is greasy and juicy and was exactly what I was looking for. The kids menu had a great variety too and we left not disappointed. After that we took a quick walk to the Chinatown Coffee Company and had a great cup of coffee. Both are in close proximity to the Gallery MetroCenter.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

We visited this restaurant with 26 8th graders and 10 adults. We were seated (separately) promptly, and our server took our orders quickly. The food was good, the dessert was GREAT, but the servers really make this place. Several servers visited our table to speak with us and were so nice.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

I was bringing a large group of students during our trip to DC and Austin Grill was THE BEST place we ate the entire trip. The service was amazing and the manager was fantastic! I had reservations (We had 32 of us) and the manager called me earlier in the day to confirm our reservations and to see if he could do anything to help us before we got there.

When we arrived we were promptly seated, they handled our orders perfectly and they did not mess up ANYONE's food! With a party of 32 that is nearly impossible! The service was fantastic and the food was even better.

This restaurant was not suppose to be the highlight of our food on our trip, but it definitely won by a land slide. I was VERY impressed!