“What a gem!”

701 Pennsylvania Ave Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
701 Pennsylvania Ave Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #332 of 3,323 Restaurants in Washington DC
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: 7th
Transit: We sit directly on top of the Archives - Navy Memorial Metro on the Yellow/Green Lines. We are 3 blocks south of the Gallery Place/Chinatown Metro on the Red Line.
Reviewed February 17, 2013

After trying to find any space in lesser establishments on 7th Street in Chinatown, our group of three stumbled upon this gem of a DC restaurant. As soon as we were inside we realized this was a special place. It simply exudes elegant luxury. I want to begin by noting what I consider a hallmark of a good restaurant - its staff. And 701 has an abundance of them! Besides our waitress and the hostess, there also seemed to be a roving manager or maître d, and we were also introduced to 701's sommelier. Each was extremely pleasant and it was very clear that their sole mission was to make our meal enjoyable and memorable. And it was. We were also lucky enough to enjoy some live music, and I can see how this could be an excellent place to unwind on a regular basis.

Each of us had appetizers: she had the beet salad, which was perfect. The quality of the beets in particular made the dish. I had the deviled eggs, which came topped with micro croutons (so it seemed) and were perfectly seasoned. For the main course, she had a delicious Sweet Potato & Squash Ravioli and I had an amazing Scottish salmon, which was intriguing because of its Asian-inspired ingredients/flavorings (Sake Miso Glaze, Baby Bok Choy, Water Chestnuts, Soy Oil). There were no leftovers on our plates, another sign of an excellent meal (in my book). Our only disappointment was dessert - it was the carrot cake, which had an overpowering layer of cream cheese frosting. It could just be we do not eat sweets often so we find such things overly rich, but it did distract from the quality of the cake itself.

We will be back and bringing friends.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

A friend and I dined a few days ago at 701 during Restaurant Week. We were seated at a window table, which was especially nice, given that it was a table for four and we were only two. The sun was just setting, so we had a nice view. The inside of 701 is lovely with a peaceful, elegant atmosphere without being stuffy. The food was mostly delicious -- we enjoyed the butternut squash soup and cured salmon appetizers and the sweet potato ravioli and pork tenderloin. We both ordered the chocolate dessert, which I will say was fine but not stellar - it was a tad reminiscent of a granola bar. There was a nice-looking dollop of chocolate whipped cream on one end, and I was saving it for last, hoping that it would improve my overall enjoyment of the dessert and leave a nice taste in my mouth.

Sadly, when we asked our waiter for our check, each with half our dessert left on our plates, he unceremoniously whisked our plates away without asking if we were finished, taking off with them so fast we couldn't stammer out a "wait! I was still eating that!" It felt very much like he was desperate to turn over the table, given that his tips that night would probably be lower because of the fixed-price (and thus lower-cost) meal. The service up to this point had been fine, but not stellar and not what I would expect from a high-end restaurant like this. I am usually a generous tipper, but on this night, had I not been in such a hurry (we had theater tickets so were under a time constraint), I would have stopped to think about the service and tipped our waiter much less than I did. I regret leaving him such a nice tip, and I regret that I did not have time to complain at the time. While this experience didn't necessarily permanently turn me off 701, with so many other wonderful options in the area, the poor service we received will certainly factor into future decisions as to where to dine.

1  Thank Nature4Me
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We had the best meal, surprisingly during Restaurant Week. The Butternut Squash Soup and the Braised Pork Shoulder were top notch, Desserts were not as exciting.

1  Thank dohertys53
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Such an elegant evening! The classy decor and attentive barkeep made for a memorable evening. We enjoyed dinner at the bar while listening to the terrific jazz duo,piano and guitar. The salmon was outstanding. A simple preparation, miso glazed subtly not over-sauced, on a bed of Crisp baby Bok Choy and a surprise crunch of jicama...perhaps the best salmon dish I've tasted in years. The menu will appeal to anyone as the offerings are elcletic and seasonal.
But truly, the experience was so refreshing, seductive and a welcome change to the crowded and noisy restaurants that clutter the Penn Quarter area. If only Bogey had walked in while they played" As Time Goes By " and the night would have been sublime.....

1  Thank Lake1957
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I have not eaten at 701 in a couple of years and had never considered it an exceptional restaurant; however, I recently had dinner there and was greatly impressed by the food and service. I had the prix fixe dinner, which is a great value.

1  Thank C c