“Great food, great atmosphere!”

701 Pennsylvania Ave Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
701 Pennsylvania Ave Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #270 of 3,237 Restaurants in Washington DC
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: 7th
Transit: We sit directly on top of the Archives - Navy Memorial Metro on the Yellow/Green Lines. We are 3 blocks south of the Gallery Place/Chinatown Metro on the Red Line.
McAllen, Texas
“Great food, great atmosphere!”
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Our group of 8 was weary after walking the monuments on a chilly evening. An Internet search provided 701 and we made reservations along the way. Upon entering 701, we were greeted by a friendly coat check girl and then seated in a beautiful restaurant. The piano and bass player were well in sync with each other playing some old pop standards. Although I would have preferred some more traditional Jazz, the two were obviously skilled in their art.
The waitress was full of wit and extremely helpful as we worked our way through the menu. All of her suggestions were spot on and her wine knowledge was impressive. She suggested a Fall Spiced Martini with a rye base and I was not disappointed. The flavor was full and tasty.
All of the appetizers were delicious including the deviled eggs, calamari and a variety of salads. My main course was a steak and boneless rib combo and both were cooked to perfection. The steak piece had a little bit of membrane so I needed to use my knife but if that hadn't been there, the steak would have cut easily with only my fork.
We were too full to enjoy the dessert menu but I look forward to going back some day and experiencing more!

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Stan C

Colorado
“Lovely Food, Lousy Service”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I really wanted to like this restaurant, because I don't come home to DC often. But bad service cannot save a restaurant no matter how good the food. We were a large group who took the matriarch of our family out for a lovely meal. Sadly, the waitress was not given much help and was was clearly out of her league. It took 10 minutes to bring me a glass of champagne while my entree got cold! When she pronounced 'potato' as 'potahto', I knew we were in trouble. Regarding my meal, the salad was just as described, and the salmon with the coffee crumble was delicious. I should have known better to order anything other than traditional panna cotta, but a bit of my sister's chocolate dessert made up for it. I don't expect to return.

• Visited October 2012
hampshire
“Well worth a visit”
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Got taken here by some very special friends on a one night trip to DC
Highly recommend - Caesar salad with white anchovies ( not the nasty tinned ones you get in UK) was wonderful - entree had the pork dish - very tasty albeit the crackling not a patch on what you'd get in UK - celery root mash surprisingly good
Highly recommend

Toronto, Canada
“Solid restaurant”
Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

Enjoyed a solid yummy meal here on our last night in town. Wine menu was decent. Devil egg app was good. Mains were well executed with a fair decent portion. We didn't have desert as we picked up some cupcakes and had them back at the hotel. Service was good - food was fairly fast for a higher end restaurant. I'd say this place is a good safe bet if you're looking for a good meal that won't break the bank.

1 Thank CANDVD
Laurens, South Carolina
“Good”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

701 is a very nice restaurant, but somehow it just didn't catch my fancy. The food was fine, but not as spectacular as I had hoped it would be. Even so, the corn was delicious! Service was--frankly--only fair for a restaurant of this caliber.

Visited September 2012