“Outdoor seating and good food in great location!”
Review of Occidental Grill

Occidental Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Occidental Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #100 of 3,283 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: 14th
Transit: Metrocenter 13 & F
Description: Occidental Grill & Seafood is a DC dining institution just steps from the White House, with a history dating back more than 110 years. This iconic gathering place combines legendary staying power with a constantly evolving, cutting-edge menu that takes a fresh and current approach to classic American cuisine.
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We had lunch under the umbrellas less than one block from the White House on a beautiful September day. It was a business lunch but that didn't stop us from enjoying the location and the weather. The restaurant is part of the Willard Hotel on Pennsylvania Avenue. I will say that the street in front of the restaurant is Very busy and filled with traffic so don't expect serene here but the view of the Treasury building is good and the people watching is great. I also would not recommend it on a summer day since Washington can be oppressive in the summer--they do have a very nice indoor dining room though if it is hot.

We all had sandwiches. Mine was grilled chicken with avocado, arugula, tomato and dressing on a very nice roll. It tasted great but it was a bit juicy so I cut it with a knife and fork to avoid spilling it all over myself. It came with very good French fries. My colleagues had a lobster roll and a pork sandwich, which both finished to the last drop. We didn't have dessert but we did have cappuccino which was lukewarm so I can't recommend it.

Our waiter was excellent and attentive. We had to wait for nothing.

The prices are a bit high but you can count on excellent food and good service in a prime location.

1  Thank StLawrencelover
There are newer reviews for Occidental Grill

Reviewed September 15, 2013

While the location is good, the food is average for this type of price point. Many choices are better buys. Had crab and lobster salad that was less than filling.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

We had dinner on the outdoor terrace, service was fantastic, food was delicious for all three of us, we had our 8 yo son with us. We had swordfish, halibut and salmon.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I thought everything about this was average except the lovely ambience/location but food and service didn't rate. My companions would have been more generous with the food rating - maybe I was unlucky.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Saw Justice Thomas during our visit. The food was just great. The fish was done to perfection. An easy walk from the Willard.