“A lesson in American history”
Review of Occidental Grill

Occidental Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Occidental Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #101 of 3,337 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: 14th
Transit: Metrocenter 13 & F
Description: Occidental Grill & Seafood is a DC dining institution just steps from the White House, with a history dating back more than 110 years. This iconic gathering place combines legendary staying power with a constantly evolving, cutting-edge menu that takes a fresh and current approach to classic American cuisine.
Reviewed March 22, 2013

The Occidental Grill is one of the Willard’s several restaurants and bars, all quite expensive and exclusive, but certainly worth the money. No doubt the quality of food and service are excellent and do justify the high prices. But this may not be the main reason why you’d want to come here, as judged on those aspects alone other places in DC probably offer better value for money. What makes this place really special is the wonderful and luxurious decor and, first and foremost, the location and history of this place. The location, just two blocks away from the White House, is unbeatable, especially as the place seems to attract the elite of the US’ political world. And so has it been for a long time, as demonstrated by the amazing list of former guests of the Willard, not the least being Abraham Lincoln and most US presidents after him, as well as Martin Luther King, who reportedly wrote his “I Have A Dream” speech in this very location. Many other celebrities such as Charles Dickens and Mark Twain also stayed here. And the word has it that the term “lobbyist” was coined by President Grant who used to frequent the Willard’s lobby where he became the target of petitioners requesting presidential support and favors – although I’m not sure this particular story is true… In any case, this is a place one should see at least once, amongst the many great places DC has to offer…

1  Thank Lablanche

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Best dish was the maine lobster appetizer. Everything else was way too salty, the chef loves salt.. a little too much. Plus they overcooked my steak (10 oz filet) to a point of well done when I asked for medium rare. I filled up on the brussel sprouts and mac n cheese in the meantime, when my meal finally came I wasn't too hungry. A little gesture on their part on the bill would have been nice... alas there was nothing (mind you we also spent 170 on a bottle of wine). We won't be back.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Good location. Nice atmosphere. Waiter pleasant and attentive. Thought food was good but not memorable. Went since staying at Willard next door and didn't regret it, but can't recommend making a concerted effort. Lots of pictures of famous folks on wall if you're into that kind of thing.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Beautiful place, great service and wonderful food! Our server was very attentive, polite and helpful. The food was fabulous and so was the wine!

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We had reservations for dinner. We were greeted promptly and our table was ready on our arrival. Our server was tremendous and recommended a wonderful bottle of wine. I wasn't expecting a tasting menu for Valentine's day on Saturday night (two days later), but I am glad that we got it. The food was great and I tried things I wouldn't normally try. I had the Lamb chops as my main course and it was tremendous. Highly recommend this place, but it is expensive.