“WOULD NEVER RETURN”
Review of Occidental Grill

Occidental Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Occidental Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #116 of 3,257 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: 14th
Transit: Metrocenter 13 & F
Description: Occidental Grill & Seafood is a DC dining institution just steps from the White House, with a history dating back more than 110 years. This iconic gathering place combines legendary staying power with a constantly evolving, cutting-edge menu that takes a fresh and current approach to classic American cuisine.
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
“WOULD NEVER RETURN”
Reviewed July 8, 2011

I dined at The Occidental on the weekend of July 4th. I order an antipasta which was supposed to have marinated tomatoes amd mozzarella. When it arrived I noticed that it did not have any. After I finally waived down the waitress she said it was mixed in and I just couldn't see it. I said show me where. She then said that she would bring me tomatoes. She returned without them saying the manager said they didn't have any. I sent an email to the restaurant and received one back from the "director of operations" saying "sorry". They must have giving you an old menu. I will never return...

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank jojoruss

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
Boston
“Poor service, overpriced.”
Reviewed July 4, 2011

Surprise, surprise more bad service in D.C. With our big group of 10, wait staff should be all over the guests as we were ready to run up the tab with more bottles of wine. Instead we had to keep grabbing the hostess to find our waiter. I hate that. I also realize that this is a tourist trap due to the location next to the Mall and the truly beautiful outdoor seating. As a New Englander however, I rail against paying $40+ for a plate with 4/5 scallops on it. I had to order a cheese plate at the end of dinner because I was still starving. I’m torn because I love the hotel it’s attached to – the Willard Intercontinental – and the fact that they have photos inside of all our presidents, which is wonderful. My recommendation if you just want to try it: get a cheese plate and a bottle of wine. Dine elsewhere.

• Visited June 2011
Herndon, Virginia
“Occidental Grill, Washington, DC (Willard Hotel)”
Reviewed July 1, 2011

My family, including 22-month old baby in stroller, and I visited outside patio restaurant of Occidental Grill (Willard Hotel) in downtown Washington, DC on 1 July 2011 a little after 13:00pm. It was a BAD experience. Although there were several tables already vacant, the Latina Hostess at the entry to umbrella cafe informed us to wait in the sun "while they prepared our table". Then she proceeded to chat incessantly with a friend (who also works at Occidental Grill) that was standing with his parents in line several people behind us. She spent about 10-15 minutes telling him how she had just delivered her baby (out of wedlock?), how she decided upon the baby's name, and all about her recent life-story. Impatiently, I finally interrupted her and asked if we could please take one of the empty tables. Then she attempted to direct us to a table in blazing sun at the back of the patio near the hotel-face (and electrical transformers), just so she could give her friend and his family behind us a better selection of more choice-seating. I more forcefully asked for an empty table in the middle or front, and she relented but gave me a sour-looking face (who was I to question where she would allow us to sit). I had to ask her 3-times to bring us a Baby High-Chair, and finally after waiting another 8-10 minutes standing next to my baby's stroller while she chatted with other customers, I grabbed a Bus-Person and asked her to bring it instead. Although we were seated first, our inattentive Waiter instead began to carry-on a personal conversation with the Hostess' friend table regarding city matters not related to their ordering. Finally, I interupted him and called him over to take our order. 30-minutes later our food finally arrived (very slow service at this restaurant). We had to shout-down passing Wait-Staff just to get our water glasses filled (the Friend of the Hostess got 2-Water Bottles delivered to their 4-person table), and had to call staff to clean our tables between courses. The food was very good, but our total experience was ruined by their unprofessional and inattentive staff. My family is NOT well-off, but I wanted to treat my wife to a special lunch date for once; I spent almost $96 at this restaurant...only to get treated like a second-class citizen after the friends of the Hostess and Waiters.

• Visited July 2011
3 Thank ME98
“Perfect place to ha e an elegant luck k h while touring d.c.”
Reviewed June 30, 2011

Outdoor seating with great food a d perfect t to re barge your batterieS after sightseeing. Good good and charming atmosphere

maggiemaestl
“Disappointing and over priced”
Reviewed June 20, 2011

We went to Occidental Grill for father's day at brunch and sat outside. Mistake #1. Do not sit outside. A drop off for the double-decker bus tour is right in front of the outdoor dining area for the restaurant. The entire time we ate there was anywhere from 2 to 6 buses lined up, people yelling, kids screaming and the wonderful smell of diesel.

We both had ice tea and the fruit plate (7.95) I had the shrimp an grits (18.95) and my husband had the crab meat fritata (16.95.) The meal came with a pastry. The bill before tip was $61.

The fruit plate took about 40 minutes to arrive. It had a few thin slices of cantalope, honeydew, pineapple and mango with a few grapes and about a tablespoon of vanilla yogurt. Nothing special.

The fritata was a bit overcooked and had a few pieces of asparagus. The lump crab meat was over cooked .

The shrimp and grits came with 5 nice shrimp that were cooked perfectly. The sauce had wonderful flavor with bacon and green onions. The grits were al dente and ruined what over wise would have been a perfect dish.

Took forever to get our bill.

we were there nearly 2 hours and the outdoor dining was only 1/2 full. I have no idea what it was like inside.

• Visited June 2011