“Elegant presentation, friendly service”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Equinox

Equinox
Reserve with OpenTable
Equinox is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #304 of 3,199 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Dupont Circle
Cross street: I Street, N.W.
Description: Please come join Todd & Ellen Gray and the Equinox staff to delight in some of the seasons best flavors from the mid-atlantic region.
Saline, Michigan
“Elegant presentation, friendly service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

I popped in here on my own and was seated immediately in the bar. The server was extremely pleasant and provided both useful menu input and highly professional service. The dishes I had - the beet salad with watercress and fennel, the pasta with corn and crab, and the "peanut butter and jelly" dessert were all attractive to look at and delicious. Portions were perfect for me - enough to satisfy, not enough to leave you feeling stuffed and overindulged. Recommended.

• Visited September 2012

Kensington, California
“Just like a great food experience in Berkeley”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

Our concierge at The Sofitel Hotel recommended it, saying that it is a favorite with the Obamas. We loved it, also! Very fresh, inspired food all four of us liked a lot. At the end of the meal, in addition to our desserts, we were given various treats "on the house". No doubt we will be back! On the wall is a letter from Michelle Obama thanking them for participating in one of her wonderful community programs.

Visited August 2012
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,115 helpful votes
“Not that great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

I wondered why this restaurant doesn't figure towards the top Tripadvisor choices as it was so good last visit. Having visited tonight, I no longer wonder. It lacks consistency. Gone was the terrific Vegetarian tasting menu. Also gone was the superb waiter who guided us so well last visit and provided perfect wines with each course. A horrendous noise started off above our table mid-way through our starters. It was a loud, low frequency rumble from the air conditioning. We happily volunteered to move tables but our waiter told us he could stop the noise. They turned the A/C down slightly which indeed stopped the noise. Then the noise started up again during our main course. Both my wife and eldest daughter were suffering from migraines due to the 94% humidity in DC and they couldn't stand this particular noise. We again quite happily offered to move. They stopped the noise again. When they then turned this painful noise on for a third time, I asked for the check and took it to reception as we couldn't stand to listen to this particularly noise for a moment longer. At reception another diner was demanding to see "the manager" and complaining about the service. The menu was disappointing. There was nothing I really wanted to order. I didn't like our waiter. The food wasn't bad.....but I wouldn't go out of my way to seek it out. I can't highly recommend this place as there's nothing outstanding to note. Nor is it terrible. It's OK, along with most other decent DC restaurants........ or will be once they fix the dreadful, low frequency, vibrating, loud noise. The chef came out three times between 6.30pm and 7.40pm to chat to two of the tables. There was nothing about our dinner that would make me need to return. My daughter and I didn't rate our salmon main course. My wife's duck was good. Our other daughter enjoyed her macaroni cheese with truffle although she's biased as she loves macaroni.....I tasted it.....not that good. My son's steak was just OK. Service was unacceptable due to failure to deal with noise problem directly above our table. The hotel sent a bottle of Italian wine over to our hotel with a note of apology so no doubt they are going to sort out what went wrong.

1 Thank BarryAscot
Miami, Florida
“Nice”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

Food was good but a little pricey small menu for lunch
expensive wine by the glass.
Service excellent

Visited July 2012
Chapel Hill
“Good but not great vegetarian tasting menu”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012

I really, really wanted to love this place. My husband and I came on a Saturday night and both had the vegetarian tasting menu with wine pairings. First of all, don't expect the waitstaff to be able to explain anything about the menu to you - I got the feeling our waiter had never tasted any of the dishes, as he couldn't answer basic inquiries regarding taste and texture. The restaurant was accomodating of my wine pairing limitations - red triggers my migraines - and the food was good. The beet salad with glazed macadamia nuts was delicious, the soup with green almonds was very unique and tasty, the mushroom ravioli had a wonderful, earthy flavor. However, for $125 a person, there wasn't anything - except the soup - that left me feeling the meal was very innovative. So good, but not amazing.

• Visited June 2012