“When they offer to let you try the beer - say yes!”
Review of J Paul's

J Paul's
Reserve with OpenTable
J Paul's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #163 of 3,236 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Georgetown
Cross street: Wisconsin Ave.
Transit: Foggy Bottom, Circulator Bus
Description: J. Paul’s is Washington’s quintessential turn of the century American Dining Saloon. The J. Paul’s bar in Georgetown is itself a 100 year old mahogany shotgun bar, built by the Brunswick Balke Coolander Company and was previously housed in a grand saloon in the Chicago stockyards. Many will swear over their scotch that Al Capone himself bellied up to that very bar. Antique brass elevator doors from New York’s Waldorf Astoria frame the back dining room. A few short blocks from the Potomac River, in the heart of fashionable Georgetown, the original J. Paul’s has become an institution. Every day, politicians, journalists, artists, business people and Washington personalities share tables with students, tourists and ex-Pats in the nation’s capital. Don't miss out on a visit to this DC institution!
Bracknell, United Kingdom
“When they offer to let you try the beer - say yes!”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

This is a nice-enough place to stop for a few drinks. The style is a strange mix of classic French and North American. I tried a couple of local ales. The first, I forget the name, was possibly the worst beer I've ever had. But they had offered to let me try a bit first and anyway taste buds are subjective so that's fine, plus the second was good. The bar staff were very nice, chatty but not overly so. When I got the bill they hadn't charged me for the first beer, even though I hadn't said anything and would have paid. That's good service.

Give this place a go.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank twingytwangy

Toronto
“Fair meal in Georgetown”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We ended up in Georgetown and walked into J Pauls for a quick meal. We expected better, and managed fair dinner. I had the special fish dinner...it was good. The cheese grits were excellent. The others had a turkey wrap (tasteless) a salad and mushroom pasta...fair.

Lots of better places in G-town for dinner

Visited August 2013
Kopavogur, Iceland
“Authentic american bar food experience”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

This is the perfect place for lunch or a night out with friends that like a burger and a beer.
All in my party were happy with their food, fresh and tasty. Not the place for a quiet romantic dinner or theplace to show off and been seen.
Also nicefor just a drink, loved the oldstyle bar decor.

• Visited September 2012
San Diego, California
“Mediocre”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We made a res for a weekend brunch/lunch. We arrived a little early and were seated promptly. It was all downhill from there. We were given a basket of mini corn muffins that were stale and hard as hockey pucks. Even so, we didn't appreciate the busboy taking the basket away more than half full without asking. Our waiter was abrupt and impatient. We asked him some questions about menu items but once food arrived it was clear he had no clue what he was talking about. I ordered the apple jicama slaw. What arrived was the fennel/mandarin/arugula salad. As soon as I told the waiter "no that's not what I ordered", he argued with me and said "You ordered the house salad, this is the house sald, look here's the jicama" to which I replied "That's not jicama, that's fennel, and that's not a slaw, it's a salad." He made a nasty face and then brought me what I think was just regular coleslaw, I only took one bite, figured not worth the risk. Also ordered the "Home made charcuterie board" The meats were gross. The only thing I liked were the pickles. Iced tea refills were not offered. French fries were just ok. Hubbies wedge salad was bland. Daughter requested ranch dressing and was told they have none. How can an American restaurant not have ranch?? Never will return. Frankly, the only good meal to be had in G'town is at 1789, IMHO. Everywhere else has been crappy so far.

• Visited July 2013
Clevedon, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

The food here is great and good value for money. There is an extensive selection of beers on offer and the staff are very helpful and friendly. I would definitely go there again.

Visited July 2013