“Outstanding Service and really good food”
Review of J Paul's

J Paul's
Reserve with OpenTable
J Paul's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #125 of 3,342 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Georgetown
Cross street: Wisconsin Ave.
Transit: Foggy Bottom, Circulator Bus
Description: J. Paul’s is Washington’s quintessential turn of the century American Dining Saloon. The J. Paul’s bar in Georgetown is itself a 100 year old mahogany shotgun bar, built by the Brunswick Balke Coolander Company and was previously housed in a grand saloon in the Chicago stockyards. Many will swear over their scotch that Al Capone himself bellied up to that very bar. Antique brass elevator doors from New York’s Waldorf Astoria frame the back dining room. A few short blocks from the Potomac River, in the heart of fashionable Georgetown, the original J. Paul’s has become an institution. Every day, politicians, journalists, artists, business people and Washington personalities share tables with students, tourists and ex-Pats in the nation’s capital. Don't miss out on a visit to this DC institution!
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I can't say enough about the service here. We arrive at the restaurant just after 11:00 AM not knowing that they didn't open until 11:30. (It was cold outside) Not only did they let us in, they served us tea and warm soft pretzels until they opened! The pretzels were fabulous.

The hostess and all of the wait staff were great!

Now for the food. Ordered the fish and chips. They were really good and they had malt vinegar available.
I highly recommend this place.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Booked a table after a recommendation. The place certainly has plenty of atmosphere and was very busy. The food and service was very good we had the Fajita which we hadn't a clue what it was but turned out to be ok. The only criticism I would make is the size of the tables. They are far too small, probably so they can fit more tables in, and we felt a bit like sardines.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I used to live in G'Town and I've been to this restaurant so many times - and it still doesn't disappoint. We had a large group and we got seated right when we arrived - which is a good thing b/c the bar was jammed. The food - superb American fare. The chicken nachos were excellent and offered a new twist on an old favorite. I decided to eat light and have just the BLT-A, which had Boursin cheese. It was yummy. My nephew loved the fish tacos and my father and brother-in-law ate the ribs. Everything was excellent and no one left disappointed.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

Stopped here on my first night in DC. Great beer selection, friendly Georgetown crowd, who would've thought, and in a very convenient location. One beer quickly became 2-3 for the group..

Reviewed January 28, 2013

When I visited Georgetown, it was cold; even by winter standards. The restaurant was also on the cold side. Prices were high by my standards, but probably average by Georgetown standards. I don’t mind paying extra if the quality and quantity match the price, but this time it did not. The food is good, but not exceptional. I had a steak salad and would order it again, but have had steak salads that good at cheaper restaurants. The fish dinner, I think it was cod, was $88. Sandwiches, etc. are more reasonable, less than $20.