“Excellent food - but had a slight issue.”

Morton's The Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #697 of 3,465 Restaurants in Washington DC
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Georgetown
Description: Morton's The Steakhouse, the nation's premier steakhouse group, specializes in classic, hearty fare, serving generous portions of USDA prime aged beef, as well as fresh fish, lobster and chicken entrees. The menu features a variety of favorite cuts, including a 24 ounce porterhouse, which is the house specialty; a 16 ounce New York Strip and a 12 ounce double cut filet.
Reviewed February 26, 2012

I only give this restaurant an average ranking because of a service issue that I explain below.

Excellent food however and consistent with the Morton's reputation - pricey.

My one issue was that I ordered a single cut filet (7 oz) - thinking it would be adequate size. I later realized the double cut was $5 more and almost double the size (12 oz.). The waiter didn't point anything out either.

I asked the waiter shortly after I ordered - he said he was sorry as they they started cooking it. I said that was fine.

While it was admittedly my fault, the steak that came out was tiny. Excellent - but tiny. I paid almost $100 and left hungry. I've been to other restaurants (at lower pricepoints) and hotels that would do ANYTHING to satisfy the customer - even if the customer was at fault. That was my only disappointment.

That being said the food was great although I'd also consider Ray's the Steaks in Arlington as you'll pay half the price for excellent quality as well (and you don't get nickel and dimed there for sides).

Note to management: your customers come to Morton's because they expect quality food and excellent service. When a hotel or restaurant goes out of its way to give excellent customer service, I go out of my way to give them my business. I didn't feel this way at Mortons.

1  Thank MojitoDC

Reviewed February 26, 2012

the food and service is always the same as in any mortions you visit which is consistent with all their establishments

Reviewed February 21, 2012

For Valentine's Day I wanted to take my wife someplace special for dinner and chose Morton's for its convenient location (within walking distance of her office)and reputation. It was extraordinary from start to finish. The pleasant asst. general manager, Lloyd, started things out on a very favorable note by agreeing to decant the wine I had chosen 3 hours before dinner. This turned out to be a wonderful accent to the meal as the wine was perfect when we arrived. The service was truly 5-star, the food fabulous and the ambiance exactly right for a romantic evening. Our server was very friendly, professional and knowledgeable. The food was perfectly prepared and the portions generous. I found the acoustics surprisingly good for such a large space and the lighting just the right balance between menu legibility and romantic feel. Lloyd stopped by during dinner to make sure everything was as it should be. We will definitely be returning--it was truly a memorable night.

1  Thank Ninjaneer1
Reviewed December 29, 2011

I do not dine here frequently but have gone on Christmas Eve for the last many years. I have always enjoyed the experience ( food, ambiance, service ) Now you have to understand the uniqueness of Morton's, the presentation of the food is bizarre to say the least. Saran wrapped meat pointed out to you as well as potato and tomato if you have never seen one before; but that is part of the show and I allow the show even though I know a written menu will follow. If you are not comfortable with the presentation just ask for menus.
The meat is of course the star and it is always perfectly prepared and delicious; this from a group that includes one who wants well done beef (probably the most challenging order a grill man can receive) Sides are steakhouse classics and terrific the wine list extensive and the sommelier knowledgable and helpful. An expensive extravagance for certain, but if you want a treat then it is worth the expense.

1  Thank DCSEasternLongIsland
Reviewed December 22, 2011

Since we didn't have a reservation (note to self, make a reservation next time) we sat in the bar area and had some drinks and appetizers before devouring our steaks...

Medium-rare with a cool center is how I like my steaks... I would recommend this place if you like steaks.