Tripadvisor
Washington DC

“Sat at the bar as I was dining”
Review of Old Ebbitt Grill

Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: 15th between F and G
Transit: Metro: Red Line to Metro Center, Orange/Blue to McPherson Square
Description: Established in 1856, the Old Ebbitt Grill was a favorite of Presidents Grant, Cleveland, Harding, and Theodore Roosevelt. The restaurant's decor is comprised of a Beaux-Arts facade, mahogany and velvet booths, and bars set in marble, brass, and beveled glass. Old Ebbitt serves a diverse selection of food including steaks, seafood, pasta, sandwiches, and also features an Oyster Bar with oysters form both coasts. Open early for breakfast and weekend brunch, and serving lunch, dinner and a late-night menu. Private and semi-private dining rooms including a rooftop overlooking the monuments and The White House.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Sat at the bar as I was dining alone. Oysters were half price until 6pm so I had a dozen and they were fresh and fantastic. Nice selection of beer and wine. I had the crab cake entree and it was excellent. Fresh hot fries and two decent sized cakes. I’ll be back as I enjoyed the atmosphere, the friendly staff and the food was top notch.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (12,547)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We arrived on the end of the breakfast menu, but were kindly served. The food was simply average with the traditional breakfast choices. The combination of pears and apples on oatmeal with maple sugar was a good idea. However, the oats were gummy and the fruit was not freshly cut as it was brown on the edges. Service was good.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Nice place , good food, but reservations are recommended as this is may be crowded with significant wait time.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I have been intending to dine at Old Ebbitt Grill for a couple of years but keep forgetting to make reservations well in advance. I thought I would miss our again this trip and then realized that they are opened for breakfast on weekdays. My daughter and I arrived at 9:00 AM and had no problem getting seated. Our server, Bryan, was very helpful and attentive. The atmosphere was beautiful decorated in mahogany and marble. Some of the hunting trophies that decorate the restaurant are said to have belonged to Teddy Roosevelt.

My daughter and I both ordered omelets and enjoyed a leisurely breakfast. I will definitely return on my next trip to DC.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Thought we'd try this restaurant, a virtual institution in DC. It was restaurant week, so the entire place was packed, making it unpleasant to dine there. The menu wasn't that inspiring, either.
The clam chowder and the salmon salad were good, but not really special.