“Maybe a bit hyped”
Review of Old Ebbitt Grill

Old Ebbitt Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Old Ebbitt Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #29 of 3,707 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: 15th between F and G
Transit: Metro: Red Line to Metro Center, Orange/Blue to McPherson Square
Description: Established in 1856, the Old Ebbitt Grill was a favorite of Presidents Grant, Cleveland, Harding, and Theodore Roosevelt. The restaurant's decor is comprised of a Beaux-Arts facade, mahogany and velvet booths, and bars set in marble, brass, and beveled glass. Old Ebbitt serves a diverse selection of food including steaks, seafood, pasta, sandwiches, and also features an Oyster Bar with oysters form both coasts. Open early for breakfast and weekend brunch, and serving lunch, dinner and a late-night menu. Private and semi-private dining rooms including a rooftop overlooking the monuments and The White House.
Reviewed August 11, 2016

The reviews are generally quite good and the location is amazing and historic. The food was good and the service was impeccable. I was a little disappointed in the Old Fashioned I got as it was rather subpar. Be sure to have a reservation as the place seems to stay busy

Write a ReviewReviews (11,358)

Reviewed August 11, 2016 via mobile

Stayed in DC after Paul McCartney concert. Went here for breakfast the next morning. I had the crab Eggs Benedict. It was excellent. This is a pricy place, but the food is excellent and you are in downtown DC so, expect inflated prices. Service was outstanding and this is fine dining. It is a Washington DC staple and I would recommend it to anyone. The Bloody Mary was awesome also.

Reviewed August 11, 2016

Went here for brunch and because it was so good, went back for dinner that night. The best margarita I have ever had!! Delicious flatbread and salads. Service was impeccable. Super friendly!! It is a big place and gets very busy. We were told we would have a 45 minute wait, but it was only 20 minutes in the end. Be prepared to wait a bit at dinner, but it is worth it!

Reviewed August 11, 2016

As a licensed DC Tour guide, I have eaten at Ebbitt's a number of times with groups but had the opportunity to go with three other people and thought this is a good opportunity to rate from a customer perspective. Overall, the service and food quality was very good. Despite a huge crowd trying to get in, we were seated quickly with our reservation and wait staff came quicky. At the table, we orderded Fried Green Tomatoes (excellent) and a couple of Gazpacho soups (these were dissapointing as we felt it seemed to be a short cut recipie and was not like any Gazpacho any of us had eaten before).

For entrees, there were two Hanger Steaks, a Lobster Pasta dish (I think it was Diablo), and I had the St. Louis Ribs. The Hanger Steaks were a big hit (I've had before and always nice and tender), the Lobster eater loved his, I was OK with the Ribs (a little on the dry side for my taste and would have preferred baby back).

We shared some deserts - Warmed Peach Pie and Creme Brulee. Both were excellent.

As far as drinks, they were average.

What I love about Old Ebbitt is that it is a historic setting, dependable food and they have something for every budget. Oh...sometime try their Crab Cakes or Bacon Horseradish Glazed Meatloaf. Both are excellent as well.

Reviewed August 11, 2016

We have dined at Ebbitt's on several occasions in recent years. This year's trip, included a multi-generational family with some rather picky eaters and Ebbitt's came through with flying colors for us. The food was delicious and we enjoyed wonderful dinner conversation. I will say that conversing in the historic main restaurant is very difficult as the acoustics are awful--way way too noisy, not too mention extremely crowded.
The food is awesome, the wait staff superb! We will be back for sure.