“Bueno comida a Del Campo!”
Review of Del Campo

Del Campo
Reserve with OpenTable
Del Campo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #286 of 3,213 Restaurants in Washington DC
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: The lifestyle and food culture celebrated on an estancia, a large South American vineyard estate, is the inspiration for Victor Albisu's flagship restaurant in the Chinatown neighborhood of Washington, D.C. The airy, 174-seat agrarian space is home to a meat-driven, wine-centric menu that is a product of Albisu's Latin American roots and travels throughout Argentina, Chile, Peru, and Uruguay. An extensive selection of steaks and various slow-roasted meats served with vibrant herb sauces, such as chimichurris and fresh salsas is the backbone of Del Campo's menu. Albisu's Peruvian heritage shows itself in the form of a Latin raw bar of ceviches, tiraditos and crudos. The wine program leans heavily towards South American varietals, which are decanted in traditional Argentinean carafes.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Bueno comida a Del Campo!”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

A colleague and I dined here for lunch. We wanted outside seating but the tables did not have individual umbrellas but one large umbrella for 2 small tables. So, with the sun being high, we decided to dine in.

I was pretty pleased my my food. They brought us bread which was accompanied by fresh olive oil and sea salt that is present at every table (nice touch). I ordered 1/2 Peruvian Chicken, Yuca Fries, Aji Amarillo Alioli, Green Chili Puré and a glass of vino casablanca - all of which was absolutely fab-u-lous! The chicken practically fell off the bone and the amarillo alioli sauce was so good, I ate it with the chicken and the yuca fries.

Now, Del Campo has a lot of windows. It was bright and sunny outside so the restaurant was equally bright. The ceilings are high and the acoustics are great with no reverberation. The lunch time crowd was quiet and we seemed to be the most animated people there but our voices didn't carry throughout the entire section--I like! The decor was unpretentious elegant with South American artifacts strategically placed throughout the restaurant. The food was beautifully plated, our server was good and the overall atmosphere was conducive to your standard fine dining experience.

This is a perfect place for a business lunch because the atmosphere is quiet enough to converse. The chairs and booths are comfortable and generously spaced apart. It's also a good date-night locale for the same reasons. Del Campo's a keeper.

• Visited September 2013

Washington DC
“LOVED LOVED IT”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Wow- I hope they never lose their edge. The drinks were creative and clever, the octopus was some of the best I ever ate. But the MEAT. It's been so long- so very long- since I had meat like that. And it made me sad... because I realized places like Mortons and The Palm are just calling it in... if you love steak, I mean LOVE steak- and you want to eat it like God intended... you have to go here.

I would never go to another steak house again. There's no reason. The skirt steak, the bone in ribeye for 2 (there were a bunch of us so we ordered several to share), the sauces... wow. I want to go back.

And the nice surprise? The meal with apps, drinks, 3 bottles of wine, steaks, 4 sides, we each had dessert and an after dinner drink... and it was a good 35% cheaper than Cap Grille or some other high end steak house.

Del Campo made me very happy.

• Visited September 2013
Newark, De
“Best Service in the World”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Dining Solo, I always make early reservations. I arrived just as they were opening and sat at the bar for a cocktail. I asked the bartender, I believe her name was Christine (according to my waitress when I asked her for another one from the "girl at the bar".) I asked her to make something with Whiskey and different. She asked me if I liked bourbon etc and a few other questions till she decided wht to make. It was great to say the least.

After my cocktail, I was seated and as I mentioned before, ordered another, lol.
My waitress, Angelica...was very knowledgeable about the whole menu.

I had the very unique., Beets Salad...I love beets and it had a lot going on...goat cheese I believe and several other components. Delicious.

I had the Peruvian Chicken...I don't usually order chicken but it sounded really good..very juicy!

the waitress asked how I had heard of the restaurant and told her I get the digitdal DC Magazine and there was a review...was doing 2 restaurants that weekend and this one, Latin American intrigued me. I took the train from Delaware and she was impressed I came "all the way down"..lol..it's only an hour and a half by train. Well, then the chef came out and introduced himself and I thought that was great too!!! (he also treated me to some samplers)

This was one of the best experiences I have had as a solo diner, but also the food and the service was exceptional. Not just for solos though. This is great for groups, families, couples and business. Prices are very reasonable

Ashton,MD
“Many more highs than lows”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Went to Del Campo during Restaurant Week to give it a try. The bread with olive oil and smoked salt were a nice way to start things. The pisco punch was very good. Appetizers were fine, with the down note being that the empanadas were a bit dry. Hanger steak was a very nice cut of meat, but the chimichurri on the side was way too vinegary. Peruvian chicken was very good, moist and tasty. Desserts were quite good - rice pudding a particular favorite - with the note that the relampagos pastry was a bit chewy. Good wine list, but it still irks me that there are so many decent Argentine and Chilean wines in the $10-15 range with prices jacked up 3-4x in restaurants. Service started out a slow, perhaps because the restaurant was packed. Will most likely return to try out the regular menu.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Good Food, HORRIBLE SERVICE”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I should have known this would be an unusual dining experience when I checked in with the hostess. I was the first of a group of three to arrive. The hostess asked if I would like to be seated in the bar while waiting for the rest of my party. When the second member arrived, the hostess said she'd be with me in a minute as she led another party to their table. Upon her return, she tried to verify the name on our reservation (didn't even come close) and proceeded to hand me a stack of menus and the wine list. The host came over and asked her why she gave the menus to me (the guest), the flustered hostess answered that she thought I was the host. We joked about them giving me a job on the spot. So this was a lunch reservation for the first weekday during restaurant week, in which downtown DC restaurants frequently are incredibly busy (as the reservations book up weeks in advance). Not so here; there was a moderate crowd but it didn't seem overwhelming. Please keep in mind that restaurant week features a limited menu; you are given a choice of perhaps 4 or 5 appetizers, 4 or 5 entrees and 4 or 5 deserts. SERVICE WAS SO SLOW THAT 1:15 after arriving I had to ask a bus boy to bring me my desert in a doggie bag. Was the waiter over-burdened? Was the kitchen over-burdened? I don't know, but it is ridiculous to still be waiting for the 3rd of 3 courses 75 minutes after being seated. Service at other tables seemed hit-or-miss; some parties of two seemed to have rapid service; other parties of 3 or more (like ours) seemed to also suffer from glacially-slow service. I understand this is a fairly new restaurant but it isn't ready for prime time. It needs to undergo some sort of efficiency audit before it again participates in special promotions like restaurant week. No complaints about the food. At least the appetizer (grilled salmon ceviche) and entree (grilled corvina fish) were hot when they FINALLY arrived. The rice pudding (arroz con leche) desert was good. Many people rave about the grilled bread served with olive oil and sea salt. I'm not sure what all the hoopla is about. It was OK but certainly not responsible for a culinary epiphany.