“High Expectations Dashed”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

On a trip to DC recently, I had to try Bub and Pop's because I read about their Chicago beef sandwich, one of my favorites from long ago when we lived in Chicago. Unfortunately, their Chicago beef sandwich , named "The Real Obama," was not the same as the original, or else it has transformed over the years. The long hoagie roll was good , the thinly-sliced beef flavorful and juicy, but it was overwhelmed by the pickled vegetable relish and cheese on top. If they had substituted Greek peppers for the latter two ingredients, it would have been a winner. Plus the full sandwich, at $13, is big enough to share. We also had a cup of "DC Clam Chowder," which seemed to be a blend of Manhattan and Boston versions. Quite pink and just OK. We also had an order of their homemade kettle chips. Very tasty but uber-salty. The verdict: we probably won't go back on our next visit to DC.

4  Thank GPBurdell67
There are newer reviews for Bub and Pop's

Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

What can I say, it was an amazing experience from the start.. we were just walking around Georgetown looking for some food and stumbled upon this GEM. Mom works the front and son creates the food; and it was truly blissful. The owner even took time to explain all the different sandwiches to us. My husband had the sub with all the meats and the sauce IS the best we've tasted, I had the Obama and the beef was so succulent and flavorful. . Now what was the icing to the cake was the Matzo Ball Soup.. no words, just like my parents used to make! I can't say enough good things about this place! If your in DC, YOU MUST GO TO Bub and Pops!!

4  Thank travelfoody1018
Reviewed January 10, 2014

As stated before, I am not a sandwich person. I didn't grow up with sandwiches being a part of my daily offerings. They don't interest me when it comes to other food. I saw this place and decided to try it as I've tired all the other places and heard the soup is good. So I ordered the clam chowder as seafood is my thing. I have to say I was expecting either white or red, but it was a combination of both. When I asked them is this Manhattan or New England they said that it was DC..... By that they explained that while it was tomatoe based it was finished with cream. Satisfied with that answer i sat down and ate my soup and OMG it was worth it. I neglected to talk to my dinner guest as i immersed myself into the bowl of chowder. i also noticed that the place is family owned and not a corporate kitchen so the chef can make anything he wants to as he owns the restaurant. I highly recommend

3  Thank D F
Reviewed January 2, 2014

sampled three of the sandwiches and the clam chowder among our group of four. Italian hoagie was best, but all were excellent. It's a small, quaint sandwich shop- can't go wrong. Although we did not have one, the salad looked awesome! home-made kettle chips are tasty appetizer while you wait for your order.

5  Thank KDC0726
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Recently, my wife and I visited Bub and Pops for lunch. What a great place! The atmosphere was friendly and relaxed and the food was fantastic! I had the Italian hoagie which was bursting with meat and veggies, a side of homemade pickles, and chips and onion dip which were all homemade. Even though I am a big guy, this really filled me up, even though I only ordered a half sandwich. Everything was fresh and homemade. The service at the counter was very friendly and personable and the overall experience was a pure delight. Being a Philadelphian, I felt right at home.

3  Thank Joel T