“Good Food, Small Portions, High Prices”
Review of Table

Table
Ranked #707 of 3,463 Restaurants in Washington DC
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Our mission is to provide an unforgettable experience for our guests who will always enjoy warm, gracious and refined service, and offering local and sustainably sourced, delicious, perfectly prepared and uniquely presented cuisine in an energetic chef's table style dining environment where our team is the main ingredient to our success!
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Table needs to shut down for a week and reassess what it wants to be when it grows up. The handwritten menu is a nice gimmick...but they were out of more items on the menu than they had. The service was excellent - but it was clear that there were too few servers for the crowd. Since our table was not ready, we ended up waiting on the sidewalk outside the restaurant, since there is no bar to wait. And the portions were unbelievably small - tapas sized almost, with entree prices. With DC's slew of new restaurants, Table need to take it up a notch to be a player.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

I was among the DC farm-to-table fans eagerly awaiting Table’s opening earlier this year. The restaurant has received positive press and its inviting website tantalizes with a menu of seasonal offerings, imaginatively prepared. Arriving on time for our Sunday evening reservation, my companion and I were promptly greeted and offered complimentary sparkling wine because our table was not quite ready – a promising start to what we hoped would be a memorable dinner. But once we were seated, the service was quite neglectful. And, at not quite 8 p.m., several dishes on the night’s menu had already run out. We enjoyed a sardine and white bean appetizer and a very light asparagus entrée adorned by a thin slice of spinach mousse, but were thoroughly disappointed by the bland, stand-in fish dish offered as a replacement for sold-out white sea bass.
The creatively configured space - a former taxi-repair shop in the Shaw neighborhood – has some elements that work very well (an herb-garden wall out front, soft lights in shapely woven shades) and others that don’t (…an industrial-looking bathroom spigot that doesn’t allow one to wash both at the same time?). Most of the downstairs seating is at a long banquette parallel to an open kitchen, a crowded arrangement that seems to stress the cooks and make it difficult for the waiters to move around. One gets the sense that Table is suffering from its early success and is overstretching its kitchen and staff. We never did feel able to simply relax and enjoy our meal, and were disinclined to stay for cheese or dessert.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

I like this place. The decor is innovative, the staff friendly, and the food is very tasty. The service, however, is pretty slow. The menus are hand-written, which adds a cute and personalised element to the experience, but it also means that they are in short supply and you may have to wait a while until you get to see one. The food is very, very good: fresh and simple flavours, with obvious rustic French influences, but with dashes of invention. Once they get their timing sorted, this place will be a hot ticket in DC.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

My friend made a reservation for 9 but we were not seated till 9:45 PM. They don't have a waiting area, so we had to stand for the whole time and most of us were very hungry...
Menu is completely handwritten which was quite special, although it was sometimes hard to read. Food was good. Starter portions were big, entree and dessert almost too small. Waiter was friendly and attentive. They have tables downstairs and upstairs, I would recommend to ask for a table upstairs. Especially if you would be seated in the entry area, it might not be very enjoyable because all the guests waiting for their table are around your table...

Reviewed March 20, 2013

A friend made reservations at Table, a place I had never heard of, for last night. I checked out the reviews on Yelp (forgive me) and they appeared to be mixed so I had my concerns, they were completely dispelled.

I arrived and they offered me a glass of wine while we waited. We were seated once my friend arrived, no wait. The menu is ever changing depending on the availability of ingredients so it is handwritten. There is a nice wine selection, which helps since they do not serve liquor.

For appetizers we shared the stuffed squid and the tiger prawns. They were both quite good, good tastes and textures, and highly recommended. Next we split the Coq Au Vin and Tagliatelle with wild boar sauce. The pasta was plentiful and perfectly cooked and the sauce was very good. The chicken was tender, juicy and the sauce was well balanced and not overbearing. For dessert we shared the chocolate mousse. While there were other things on the menu that looked good it was highly recommended and deservedly so.

The service was good and for a Tuesday night it was still full when we left at 9:30 with people waiting. They just started taking reservations on Open Table so that no doubt helps as before it was a walk-in, no reservations place.

I was impressed and plan on going back to try the other dishes on the menu.