“Good Find Downtown DC”

Hampton Inn Washington, D.C./White House
Ranked #28 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Brand new hotel blocks from the white house. Valet price was reasonable and was within walking distance to shopping, dining and metro. Throughly enjoyed our stay. Staff was extremely helpful. Looked up locations for us and even chased our friends down when he forgot to give them the car keys so he wouldnt get a ticket. We didnt use the pool or the business center, but scoped out both. Breakfast also looked good. Will stay there again if we are back in DC

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Leigh P
Hampton Inn M, Manager at Hampton Inn Washington, D.C./White House, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2013

Thank you Atripadvisormember, We appreciate you taking the time to review your stay and share the experience with potential guests. We’re glad you had such a pleasant experience and look forward to seeing you next time.

There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn Washington, D.C./White House

Reviewed July 10, 2013

This hotel is conveniently located near George Washington University and the White House. Parking is a bit steep, but that seems normal in our Nations Capital. Hotel recently opened and is very nicely appointed. Rooms are adequate, but lack Sofas or other casual sitting arrangements. We were very happy with our stay.

2  Thank A V
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Everything is great about this hotel, the price, the location, the complimentary breakfast, the staff and the cleanliness. From the minute you walk in, you feel at home, and relaxed. Great restaurants within walking distance. Rooms are on the smaller side, but enough room not to feel cramped.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chris R
Reviewed July 9, 2013

this is one of the most beautiful hotels I've ever seen! Extremely clean and a great location! I stayed here for 4 nights last week, 7/2-7/6 (we could see a few of the fireworks on July 4th right from our hotel room - 10th floor facing H street). Everyday when we came back from our excursions around town, our room was cleaned just like when we first walked in. The staff were super friendly especially LaTonya, it was a joy to see her at the front desk in the early mornings. Mervyn was very professional and friendly too as were the others we came in contact with.
The breakfast area was very clean and the food good.
there is a little pizza parlor across the street which was inexpensive and yummy and McDonald's around the corner on 17th St. and a Starbucks 2 doors down. Also many other restaurants within walking distance!
there is SO much to do in D.C. that is free, all Smithsonian museums, the Ford's Theater tour, a tour of the Capitol, and much more to do for free. We walked to the Smithsonian museum from the hotel which was about 20 minute walk. We also took the Metro and there is a station just a block away. You will not be disappointed at all with this hotel!

(Pool was very very little and SO cold but we weren't there to swim but enjoy the city so it didn't mess up our stay at all)

4  Thank FLGirly75
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I was happy to see an additional Hilton property option come up in the White House area as I frequently am there on business and prefer the Hilton brand. The property was open less than three weeks when I checked in. Great location, (kind of in between the tourist area and the business part of downtown), and has a modern contemporary look and feel. I spend about 200 nights a year in hotels, so I feel like I'm fairly experienced in what should be acceptable and what's not up to par. This new property has some growing pains and challenges to overcome before it will measure up to the level of service the average Hampton Inn provides - both in personnel and facilities.

The guest rooms are nicely done, but quite small. They have nothing to put a suitcase on - it's either the bed or the floor. The main light in the bathroom would not turn off. I reported numerous times asking that it be fixed. After the third report in three days, engineering actually told the front desk receptionist to tell me that the light is designed to not turn off. I simply had to take that as engineering's inability to address the actual problem.

I seldom need a guest laundry, but I had already been on the road 10 days when I checked in on a Saturday. Since valet laundry typically isn't available, I opted to do some myself - except the laundry room was missing a washer and dryer. Not a big deal since they had just opened, so I inquired at the front desk where the closest laundry mat was, and was told that they'd arrange for my laundry to be sent out Sunday morning and returned the same evening. I stopped by the desk Sunday evening to pick up, and was told it hadn't gone out. Seems the person at the front desk hadn't checked with the cleaner to verify they would do Sunday service before telling me to drop it off.

Valet parking is still a work in progress - although they tried. There were delays and some confusion each time I got my car, but they're still figuring things out.

On a positive note - if you're lucky enough to get Diane or Gabi at the front desk, you'll be treated like you would expect. Being nice and friendly can go a long way when there are other challenges to be dealt with, and they were both quite pleasant to deal with. Hopefully management will be able to keep them there, and get others like them.

I'll give the property another chance in a few months after they've had time to get some footing.

Room Tip: I was on the 8th floor and had very little outside noise, but I did hear complaints from people on l...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank W B
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My GPS broke down and I was completely lost driving into the DC area. Joe-MR. AWESOME at the front desk spent so much time on the phone guiding me into the hotel! He was Fabulous! Helping me and helping guests as they checked in. Upon arrival, he sent the valet guys outside to flag me down so I could easily find the hotel!! NOW THAT IS SERVICE!! At the front desk, Murvyn - MR. MARVELOUS-was so warm, helpful and welcoming. Anything you asked him was less than a 40 second response! He went out of his way to help me find restaurants and even printed out directions for me to make it easier to walk. Murvyn suggested printing out directions to make it easy for me to pick up my daughter at her program knowing my GPS was not working. I must admit, I was so busy I had not even thought of it. I told him I would go to the business center and print them out. He said no need Ms. "S", I printed them for you already! LOVE THAT! Between JOE and MURVYN, my stay was the absolute BEST!! I LOVE these 2 guys!! They 100% went OVER AND ABOVE their normal duties. I not only saw this with me but with EVERY SINGLE customer that walked into the hotel. From greeting them (BY NAME!!) to helping them find places to go, giving directions to visit the White House, etc., they are TOP NOTCH!! I highly recommend this hotel and would absolutely stay there again!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Alexis S

Thank you AlexisS, We’re glad you had such a positive experience and took the time to share on TripAdvisor. We appreciate it. We also appreciate the compliments toward our staff Joe and Marvyn. We’re always proud to hear raves about them! We hope to have you back again soon.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I really wanted to like this hotel. After all, I spent quite a bit of time trying to find the ideal place (combination of location and amenities) for my family to stay during our week-long visit to Washington, D.C. I had previously stayed at other Hampton Inn locations for work and leisure without any issues, but this one fell way short of our expectations --for reasons including: At check-in, the desk clerk said he'd call when our room was ready --but we didn't receive a call; Upon getting into our room, the floor did not appear to have been vacuumed --as a bobby pin from a previous occupant was found on floor; We partially chose this hotel because it had a pool, but the heater and pump were broken during our entire week-long stay and never had opportunity to use it (the pool is tiny and located in the basement, but we still would have used it); Water pressure was barely adequate for the shower and sink; The shower took abnormally long time to produce hot water; Gnats were present every morning in the breakfast dining area (not a bunch, but enough to be a daily annoyance); During a severe thunderstorm, the room TV could not get clear signals (so there was no pool AND no TV for our kids); For our family of four (in a two queen room), we frequently did not receive an adequate number of towels from housekeeping and had to contact the front desk almost daily (we'd usually receive three sets of towels instead of four); the complimentary coffee stations frequently didn't have cups and/or lids. If our rate would have been less, I probably could have overlooked some of these issues. But I think we paid quite a bit more than usual due to the hotel being new and because we stayed the week of July 4th. If I knew in advance what I know now, I would have picked a different hotel.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Thank you for the review atripadvisormember, We apologize that the hotel did not exceed your expectations. We try to wow every guest and are disappointed that we were not able to do so with you. We hope that we have the opportunity to host you again and show you what the Hampton Inn White House can really do.