“Pleasantly Surprised”

Ranked #5 of 3,482 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Eastern European
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighborhood: Capitol Hill
Description: We proudly invite our guests at Ambar to enjoy the first Dining without Limits Experience in the United States. This unique concept allows diners to savour over 40 dishes and to reorder their favorites without limitations. Ambar embraces everyone with a warm, friendly atmosphere replicating the at home experience. While we may be thousands of miles from the Balkans, with Ambar our fabled, ENDLESS hospitality is ever present. Our new dining approach transforms the traditional experience of ordering an appetizer and entree per person, to gathering around the table for a feast. Our guests enjoy authentic dishes within different categories, like grilled meats and seafood, slow-cooked fare, authentic spreads, baked flatbreads, and pies. Everyone who visits us is welcome to explore 40 unique dishes and the indigenous Balkan premium wines, as well as an expansive collection of traditional brandy called rakia. ZIVELI & WELCOME TO A NEW WAY OF DINING WHERE QUALITY MEETS EXPERIENCE AND VALUE
Reviewed August 22, 2016

I came to this restaurant for Metropolitan DC Restaurant Week on Sunday and was upset to have made a reservation through open table and learn they do not serve lunch on the weekends. At first I expressed my frustrations with the manager and she made our experience wonderful! The food is first off amazing! Their kindness and attentiveness was appreciated! At the end of our mean or "brunch" we were stuffed and spent less than we would for restaurant week! I love the ambiance and the food and really recommend you have a try!

Date of visit: August 2016
Sanja S, Guest Relations Manager at Ambar Capitol Hill, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2016

Hi,

Thank you very much for your review! It was a true pleasure having you here at Ambar! :)

We hope to see you again.

Regards,

Reviewed August 22, 2016

Always a good find when you can get bottomless drinks and bottomless food - all for a reasonable price.

My group loves Balkans food, particularly after a recent trip to Bulgaria. We sampled almost every dish on the brunch menu and most of them were delicious and interesting. The service was excellent as well. Our server continued to bring out new dishes for us so we didn't have to wait between orders.

Date of visit: July 2016
1  Thank RMB007

Hi,

Thank you for the review!

We love it when our guests share their positive experience at Ambar with others. :)

We look forward to seeing you again.

Best regards,

Reviewed August 22, 2016 via mobile

This is an awesome place for happy hour! The food is pretty good and the drinks are awesome. All for a great price.

Date of visit: June 2016

Hi,

Thank you for rating us on TripAdvisor.

We’re thrilled that you loved our happy hour. Come back again anytime. :)

Reviewed August 22, 2016

While many of the patrons were regulars, for meals or the bar, we were there for a special family meal, and opted for the $49.00 all you can eat Balkan cuisine tapas-style plates, with drinks. The drinks included mojitos, which were quite tasty. I had three. Maybe four. This is over a two hour period, which sounds like a lot but the shared plates are small, and they keep coming. The waiter brings a number of the share-plates to start, and then you can order as many as you like from the menu list. It was fun, appetizing, and novel.

Date of visit: July 2016

Hi,

Thank you very much for leaving a review.

We’re thrilled that you left our restaurant more than satisfied! :)

We’d be happy to welcome you back to enjoy mojitos again anytime.

Reviewed August 20, 2016 via mobile

I had a recommendation from a work colleague that this restaurant lived up to its reputation as the best place to eat in DC.
Having made a reservation for one via OpenTable, for a 17:15 sitting. Thinking the other available sitting, 20:45 would be a little past my bed time. Also thinking I could settle down for the evening to take advantage of the amazing $49 Balkan Experience. An all you can eat small plates menu and all you can drink from a limited but plentiful drinks list.

The food was fabulous, the portion size is perfect especially for those that want to taste as much of the Balkan cuisine as you can. The Roasted Mushroom Crepes and the Steak and Frits were very good. With the Steak and Frits not being what you would expect and came on a recommendation from Chris my waitress.

Chris was amazing, so friendly and very warming, especially as I was dining alone. She was attentive but not over powering, she helped me decide on my strategy to accomplish a good effort of 7 plates, and a reasonable effort of all 6 of the available cocktails... I later found out it was only her 4th shift... Amazing.

Zlati the Manager was also warming and chatty and made me feel at ease. She went out of her way to talk with me on a number of occasions, and made a traveler in a faraway country feel at home.

I can not recommend this restaurant and bar enough.... If you are in DC it is a must. It's a 2 min walk from Eastern Market Metro and surrounded by what look like some other great places. But why bother with those, book early, stay late.

I was advised that the OpenTable availability may not show all available sittings, so if nothing fits, call....

I will be back and I've already recommended this place to locals.....

Date of visit: August 2016
3  Thank Ollie_and_Helen

Hi,

Thank you for giving us a five-star rating and for taking the time to write such a complimentary review! :)

We definitely look forward to seeing you again!

The entire Ambar staff, including Chris and Zlati, send their regards.