“Good Deal”

Ranked #5 of 3,482 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Eastern European
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighborhood: Capitol Hill
Description: We proudly invite our guests at Ambar to enjoy the first Dining without Limits Experience in the United States. This unique concept allows diners to savour over 40 dishes and to reorder their favorites without limitations. Ambar embraces everyone with a warm, friendly atmosphere replicating the at home experience. While we may be thousands of miles from the Balkans, with Ambar our fabled, ENDLESS hospitality is ever present. Our new dining approach transforms the traditional experience of ordering an appetizer and entree per person, to gathering around the table for a feast. Our guests enjoy authentic dishes within different categories, like grilled meats and seafood, slow-cooked fare, authentic spreads, baked flatbreads, and pies. Everyone who visits us is welcome to explore 40 unique dishes and the indigenous Balkan premium wines, as well as an expansive collection of traditional brandy called rakia. ZIVELI & WELCOME TO A NEW WAY OF DINING WHERE QUALITY MEETS EXPERIENCE AND VALUE
Reviewed July 28, 2016

We went to Ambar which specializes in Serbian and Balkans cuisine on a Thursday night to celebrate my partners birthday. They offer a great deal on a fixed price all-you-can-eat small plates menu that includes a selection of drinks including both cocktails and wine for $49. The selection of small plates is quite extensive with both meat, vegetarian, and seafood dishes, many quite tasty. We certainly had our fill and staggered home that night (we live nearby and walked). I would recommend this for groups especially those who like to eat a lot.

Date of visit: June 2016
Sanja S, Guest Relations Manager at Ambar Capitol Hill, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2016

Hello,

Thank you for reviewing Ambar DC on TripAdvisor.

We’re thrilled that you had such a great time dining at our restaurant and we hope to see you again soon.

Best regards.

Reviewed July 27, 2016

We came here for my friends birthday and had an amazing time. The food was wonderful! We started with the white flat bread which was wonderful, had the grilled asparagus and ambar fries (ok but I would not get again), the almond crusted chicken my friends loved (I am allergic to nuts so did not have), the chicken kebab which was my favorite, the drunken mussels and calamari which were great as well. The plates here are small and great for sharing so you can taste a broad range of foods.

Date of visit: June 2016
Sanja S, Guest Relations Manager at Ambar Capitol Hill, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2016

Hi,

Thank you for your five-star review! We’re glad to hear that you had a pleasant time with your friends at Ambar. We’re looking forward to your next visit!

Reviewed July 27, 2016

Here’s another one of those places that after looking at the menu you wish you could eat more!

The “Balkan Experience” potentially brings the entire menu slowly to your table along with unlimited (certain) drinks for only $49. After speaking to our fantastic server Snjezana, she suggested we start out with at least 4 entrees (total for the 2 of us). So based on her recommendations we chose:

A creamy Smoked Trout spread with pickled jalapeno and bread.

The absolutely delicious Stuffed Sour Cabbage, something that I would never have thought to order and which turned out to be our favorite entrée.

The beef & pork Balkan Kebab with marinated onions.

and the Cheese Pie, which I found to be on the heavy-side, expecting a light fluffy interior.

Now this doesn’t necessarily sound like a lot of food but it was just the right amount for us.

As a birthday gift, I was treated by the restaurant to one of the most unusual & interesting desserts we’ve ever had – the Forest Gnocchi. It came in a heavy stone bowl containing beautifully arranged chocolate mousse/bitter orange cake/ground chocolate/ orange gelee/tarragon gnocchi and passion fruit. Over this was poured a creamy black tea sauce. Before eating it, you stir it all together – it was fantastic !

With 2 drinks, before tip, the bill came to around $60 I know what you are thinking – for an additional $40 or so we could have had so much more – if only that were true but we can only eat so much ! We left way more than satisfied.

Date of visit: July 2016

Hi,

Thank you for the great review. We’re honored that you chose Ambar to celebrate your birthday! We would be delighted to see you again at Ambar.

Reviewed July 26, 2016

We went there for brunch and although there are many really good brunch spots in DC, I think this is my favorite. The food is just so, so good. It's also unique. I don't know of any other Balkan restaurants around.

My favorite thing was their savory "bread pudding". You can order it as a starter, and it also comes on the side with a lot of the main dishes. Even commonplace brunch items, like a ham omelet are made uniquely here. The ham is cubed really small and it's topped with a pesto. Seriously, everything we had was delicious. I didn't want it to be over.

The menu is also reasonably priced for the area. They have an unlimited $39/person brunch menu (mimosas & bloody marys included) that is totally worth it. Otherwise, items are between $5-$15. Mimosas are $7. Would definitely recommend this place and would definitely go back.

Date of visit: July 2016

Hello,

We’re glad to hear that you enjoyed your Balkan experience at Ambar! We look forward to welcoming you back to your “favorite brunch spot in DC”.

Reviewed July 25, 2016 via mobile

Make sure to visit the top floor patio as well as the first two floors. Beautiful. The food is unique and very good. My go to place when I have friends come visit.

Date of visit: November 2015

Hi,

Thanks a lot! Visit us again with more friends. We’d love to see you back at Ambar.