“Awesome Balkans Cuisine in DC”
Review of Ambar Capitol Hill

Ambar Capitol Hill
Reserve with OpenTable
Ambar Capitol Hill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 3,368 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Eastern European
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighborhood: Capitol Hill
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Belgrade mule... just like a Moscow mule, but better with plum brandy and ginger beer! I highly recommend this tasty cocktail to start off your meal. I was with some veggies, so we mainly ate the vegetable dishes, and they were all amazing! We had leek croquettes, roasted mushroom crepes (which were maybe my favorite, and I do not even like mushrooms!), beet and goat cheese salad, the Balkans salad (similar to a Lebanese salad tasty), bread basket, cheese pie, and spinach risotto with bakes shrimp on top, and I also had the grilled bacon-wrapped prunes. In my perfect world I would have tried the Balkan kebabs and the meat platter, but all we had tasted fresh and well cooked. The flavors in the roasted mushroom crepes were lovely. The cheese pie melted in your mouth, and the salads were fresh and light. I actually liked the bacon-wrapped prunes the least, and I really like prunes. I think they lacked flavor, and they were rather hard. However, that was the only not delicious dish we had. There were three of us, and we ate everything! We ended the meal with the signature dessert called the forest gnocchi, which is served in a heavy stone bowl with beautiful colors in all these separate components. Then server adds in cream and stirs everything, which does not make it look tasty anymore but the flavors work. The dessert is chocolate mousse, orange bitter chocolate cake, orange gelee, ground chocolate, passion fruit espuma with a black tea sauce. It does not sound good, but is really awesome!

Definitely drop by this place whether you live in DC or are visiting! It is really tasty and how many people get to eat Balkans cuisine! The place itself is a cool setting in the SE area. The price is a bit high, but it is DC. Check it out!

1  Thank Nicole G
Write a ReviewReviews (1,102)

Reviewed May 29, 2013

My son and his fiance will be married in this lovely new restaurant in DC!! It is just a perfect setting with the rustic interior, delicious looking menu and food and outstanding speciality drinks. We did not eat when we visited but the food that was served to surrounding customers looked outstanding. We enjoyed a special pear drink that was fabulous! The staff was so helpful, friendly and it promises to be a very special day!

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Great atmosphere, great service, great dishes. I loved the tapas style that allowed us to taste many dishes. The cocktails, most of which feature Balkan rakia, were delicious.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Our dinner at Ambar was delicious. The chef and owners have found a great balance between traditional Balkan food and the modern interpretation of it. Being from Balkans the flavors and aromas of the food brought back childhood memories. The prices were reasonable, the wine, beer, and rakija selection was wonderful.

Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

We got 10 different dishes including sirloin veal chicken and they were stewed charred or braised. All were delicious and not terribly expensive. Atmosphere was nice and fairly quiet.