“Great location, perfect for short vacation trip”

Courtyard Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom
Ranked #44 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Lima, Peru
“Great location, perfect for short vacation trip”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We spent 1 night in this hotel. As we only had 2d/1n to visit DC, the location came out perfect. Three blocks away from the National Mall, and a couple of minutes from the White House.

Really excellent night sleep, comfy bed and room.

From $200+, maybe not a bargain but it's totally worth it for a short stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David H
Carla B, Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom, responded to this review, December 18, 2015
Thank you for choosing the Courtyard Foggy Bottom, for your first visit to the Washington DC area. I am thrilled that it was a success! Also, thank you for pointing out our great services! Hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Czech first
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Hotel is pretty new so it is completely updated. There was a great rate so the value was terrific. Rooms were large and comfortable. The staff were all very helpful and pleasant. The cafe was nice and not too pricey. The location is very walk able, but not as central to restaurants, etc. as some other locations. We walked everywhere, however, and had no trouble getting to all the places we wanted to see or visit. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
It was so nice to read your comments about your recent stay; thank you very much. We truly appreciate that you were with us for this special visit to D.C. and so thankful you took the time to share your experience. From the location, to the hotel, to the service, it sounds like you certainly experienced exactly the stay we strive to provide. We hope to see you again!
Belle Mead, New Jersey
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

My family and I stayed here the week of July 4. My middle son and I checked in on 6/29, while my husband and other 2 sons joined us on 7/3. My middle son and I were here for his college orientation at George Washington University. The location couldn't be better. It's on the GW campus and very close to the White House and National Mall. There is a Capitalbikeshare stand across the street, so we rented bikes to get around town; cheaper than cabs or metro and better for us!
WhenI checked in, the first thing Rumana at the front desk did was to make sure I had the best room rate, which I did due to my week-long stay. I had booked a second room for when my husband came down. I asked Rumana if there was any way that we could get the adjoining room. She indicated that the guests in that room were checking out the same day my husband came down, so she put a hold on that room for us. It worked wonderfully, as our 3 boys stayed in that room (nice and roomy with 2 queen sized beds) and my husband and I stayed in the adjoining king-bed room.
Trayvon at the front desk was also very helpful, especially after I remembered I had left some clothes in the closet. He arranged to have them shipped back home to me.
Great stay! Looking forward to staying again during my son's next 4 years at GW!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mary G
Devin D, General Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on tripadvisor. We are very fortunate to have such a great staff at the Courtyard Foggy Bottom. The entire team is very proud of our property and I am happy to hear that they were able to assist you during your stay. We hope that when traveling to the DC area in the future you will chose the Courtyard Foggy Bottom. Thank you and have a wonderful day.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I stayed here for July 4th weekend. The hotel is fairly new so it is clean. It is, however, small. The rooms are small, the pool is small. But we were there to be tourists so that wasn't a main criteria.

The staff is very nice and the food in the Bistro was reasonable for a hotel restaurant. The bartender was fantastic - poor guy was working alone the night we were there and yet had a huge smile on his face.

We had a view of the building next door so not sure about room tips. But again, we chose this for location and convenience. We could walk everywhere, including the fireworks and memorials and museums. There is also a Bike Share drop across the street which the kids found very convenient. It is on the edge of GWU so for anyone visiting that campus, this would be a great location.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Patti0211
I would like to thank you for your recent visit to Courtyard Foggy Bottom. It was truly a pleasure to serve you.
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I stayed at this property for the 4th of July Weekend (3 night total) and everything was relatively smooth. I was checked in promptly at noon on the day before the holiday. They offered some choice of room locations (very few and any type of favorable view) and all went smooth. The room was clean but, given the "confined" inner-city location the rooms are very small. The only main surprise was in the bathrooms. Only two sets of towels are provided (despite the fact there's a nice wooden shelf unit for towels it sits empty - yes empty). The soap and shower toiletries are Fairfield Inn caliber and not what I am accustomed to seeing in Courtyard properties. I see those as minor items (but yet surprising to me). I would certainly recommend this property.

Room Tip: Rooms are small. From what I could tell, very few have a "good view".
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Carla B, General Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom, responded to this review, January 3, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your experience. We hope to see you again soon!
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I just spent four days at this Courtyard by Marriott, due to my son living at George Washington University. His dorm was around the block, so this was a perfect location. It is VERY close to the White House and Old Executive Office Building. It is in a fairly safe area, due to the university and governmental buildings. It was very quiet over the weekend. The staff members at the front desk were all very friendly and helpful. I'd found a great deal for a long weekend, however on Monday, the corporate rate kicked in, so my room price doubled. The hotel lobby is lovely and we enjoyed stopping for refreshing water in the lobby each afternoon. That was a nice touch. There is a nice dining area with a Starbucks, however, we didn't use it for dining purposes. There is also an ATM machine in the lobby. The rooms were nice sized and were clean. The A/C never seemed to be cool enough, however, as it was very hot and humid in the city. The bedding was wonderful and we slept well each night. I did have trouble with cell service, as our room was located inside a courtyard. I never had trouble getting a taxi cab outside the hotel. The Metro stations are some distance, so we walked all over the area. If you enjoy riding bikes, try the city bike share system that is across the street from the hotel. The convenience of this hotel makes it a great place to stay in Washington DC, especially is you are there to see the sights!

Room Tip: Outside room for good cell service.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank teach2travel58
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay at the Courtyard Foggy Bottom. We are very fortunate to have such a gret team and I am happy our staff were able to assist you with your needs while visiting the Washington DC area. I have shared your comments regarding the air conditioning unit with my Engineering Team and we will be testing each unit to make sure the thermostats are operating correctly. Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention. I hope that when traveling to the Washington DC areain the future, you will consider the Courtyard Foggy Bottom. Thank you again for your very valuable feedback.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 6, 2013

This hotel is terrible. My wife and I spent two days here in July. First, the a/c in our room did not work. It was 93 degrees outside. I told the man at the front desk and he told me they would "fix it tomorrow." They never fixed it.

Second, our bathroom was covered with mold. See attached photos. My wife and I ordered the "molten chocolate cake" and it was served to use ice cold. Then, the waiter ran two spoons under the faucet and gave them to us. You have to valet your car. When they returned my car, the driver was driving it like it was a rally car.

This is really a terrible place to stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Devin D, General Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your visit. I'm sorry you experienced so many issues during your stay. I have shared your comments with all members of the leadership team. We continue to work with all of our associates to ensure they are providing the service our guests expect from a Marriott hotel. I apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations. Thank you again for sharing your comments as we can we continue to focus on improving as a hotel. Thank you