“Disappointed”

Ranked #51 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Berlin, Connecticut
“Disappointed”
Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

I was looking forward to the stay hopeful that the new hotel would be clean and fresh. There was a broken light fixture on the floor of the hallway in the corner, and carpet moulding not finished with rolls of it in the hallway.

In the room no coffee cups, hair on pillow and sheet, vent fan in the room had a quiet squeak, just enough to be heard when trying to sleep.

I didn't drive but kinda expensive for on site parking. No cell service in room because back side of hotel is boxed in by buildings so no signal. I had to go outside to use phone.

Overall not my best marriott stay, as a gold member I expected better.

• Stayed May 2013
Carla B, General Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom, responded to this review, January 3, 2016
Thank you for staying with us and also for taking the time to share your comments. I apologize that your stay was anything less than flawless. The hotel opened in Febuary of 2013, we have since corrected all of the of mentioned service failrues and we hope to have another opportunity for you to be our guest and to feel the quality service and accommodations that we provide.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Czech first
Princess Anne, Maryland
Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is so convenient to all DC attractions. Rooms are very clean. We were able to get a great deal via Priceline. Easy access to Metro and restaurants on I street. Only disappointment was the first day we did not get maid service and we had to call three times to get clean towels.

Staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2013
Carla B, Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom, responded to this review, December 23, 2015
I would like to thank you for your visit to Courtyard Foggy Bottom. It was a pleasure to serve you.
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 21, 2013

The property itself, which opened in Feb 2013, is just what you would expect of a brand new Courtyard. So no complaints about the property. The location is on the GWU campus and just a few blocks from the White House. But as some have pointed out, it isn't a neighborhood where taxis roam. Onsite parking is an outrageous $36 per night, but sadly what it costs to park at most hotels in the area.

So much for express check-in. I am a lifetime platinum member with Marriott, and check-in still took almost 30 minutes.The way the front desk clerk typed away, I thought maybe he was writing a novel. Why weren't my rooms assigned before I arrived? All it should have taken was a credit card swipe.

One night at about midnight, I received a call from a credit card scammer. Told me the hotel systems had failed and they needed to re-register all of the guests. For my inconvenience, I would receive a 25% discount. I just needed to provide my address and credit card info. I hung up, but the next day we learned several other guests were victimized by the same scammer and provided their credit card info. Why did the hotel operator allow repeated calls to guest rooms at that hour from an external caller? Was it an inside job? The front desk said simply "oh, that's a scam" and went back to what they were doing. No apology. No expression of sympathy. No curiosity about the details. It all felt very shady.

I rarely complain about service in my reviews. But this Courtyard has the worst overall service level I've ever experienced. Check-in took forever. The restaurant was slow. Housekeeping complained that "everyone wants afternoon service" to clean the rooms. Just seems like everyone hates working at this place, or they just don't care.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Devin D, General Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I am certainly disappointed that your stay with us was not all that it could have been, and apologize on behalf of our staff for your experience.

As you know, our hotel recently opened and we value your feedback and take this as an opportunity to provide additional training to our staff to ensure that all guests experience a welcoming, friendly and productive stay with us. With regards to the phone call incident, please know that it is our hotel policy to never ask for personal information over the phone, and we have taken additional steps with our phone system to prevent this from happening again. At Marriott International, our first priority has always been the safety and comfort of our guests, and we take this very seriously.

Rest assured that this is a very unusual incident, and I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you so that I can extend my regrets to you personally. I can be reached at 202-296-5700.
san clemente, CA
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Very new hotel in DC. Came for graduation at GW. Located very close to the school. Also located close to the sites. Able to walk to the White House, monuments, Georgetown.
Rooms were large. 2 computers available for personal use in lobby. Free WiFi available, although coverage is spotty in some areas. The fitness center was large with treadmills, ellipticals, bikes, but no weights.
Staff really bent over backwards for any needs. Would stay here again should the need arise

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Carla B, Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom, responded to this review, December 18, 2015
Thank you very much for the compliments about the staff. Providing our guests with the best possible hospitality and service has always been our mission. We hope to see you again soon!
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed the week of May 13 for business and found both the location and hotel to be very nice. It's brand new and well appointed for business or site seeing. Near restaurants and DC landmarks, it couldn't be more convenient. My only negative was a friend who called was put on hold for an extended period and then hung up on. I spoke to the front desk and got a prompt apology. In spite of that I would definitely stay again.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Providing our guests with the best possible hospitality and service has always been our mission. We hope to see you again soon.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Was only in D.C for the one night but this hotel made everything so easy. It's right within walking distance of all the main monuments and sights: the White House, the Lincoln Memorial, the Smithsonians.
The rooms are really nice and everyone at the front was really friendly and helpful.
I have to give a shout out to one of the women that work here. I can't remember her name but I think she was the Assistant Manager (at least that's what her name badge said). We rocked up early in the morning - way before check-in time - but we'd just gotten off a 12 hour train ride and were tired and needed a bed and a shower. She was so friendly and helpful, found us an available room and let us check in early. Turned an otherwise miserable morning into a sigh of relief.
Would absolutely return to this hotel were I to visit D.C again! Highly recommended!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
We are excited to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you very much for the compliments about the staff. Hearing feedback from guests such as you is one of the many reasons our staff members are so proud to be a part of the Courtyard Foggy Bottom team!
South Carolina
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I booked this new hotel on Priceline for a discounted price which is probably why I rated it so high. The staff was friendly, the hotel and room was also very clean. The location is good, not great. It is close to George Washington University but not very close to much else. It is about a half mile walk to the metro, which can get old after a few days. Taxi are aware of this and are always sitting outside or driving by looking for people walking out the door. Parking onsite is extremely expensive. I parked in the George Washington university visitor parking garage for about half what the hotel would charge. I then moved the car to the street on Sunday because parking is free and there was plenty of street parking. The bathrooms only have showers which is a negative in my opinion because after a long day of walking around DC it would be nice to relax with a bath. Overall the hotel is good for the price I paid, they also have FREE internet which is great and helps them stand out from many other hotels . Next time I visit DC I will probably look for a hotel on the east side of the white house, but may fall back this hotel if I can find a good price on that side.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Carla B, Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom, responded to this review, February 8, 2016
It was so nice to read your comments about your recent stay; thank you very much. We truly appreciate that you were with us for this special visit to D.C. and so thankful you took the time to share your experience.