“Amazing Renovation”

Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Amazing Renovation”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Great place with a number of shows. Place was beautifully designed, and great if you want to rent it out. You must go at least once to see it.

Visited September 2013

Northern Va
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Great place for all genres of music!”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

This is my second or third visit to The Howard Theater. I've enjoyed myself each time. Last night I atteneded the Mint Condition venue as a solo patron. My table server was soooo on point...water, mixed drink, and my order. (If you've never seen Mint Condition in concert...GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!) I was added to a table partially filled (not a problem) next to the sound technician on the floor in the rear (not a problem). I ordered the buffalo chicken wings and Ray cocktail...both a little pricy? The number and size of the wings is sufficient. :-) Soooooo, I thought I knew the correct bill amount? Nope. My total bill was $6 more! I saw taxes, some type of surcharge, AND an automatically charged 15% gratuity charge! It so happens I'm a customer that totally supports 20% gratuity as a bare minimum unless the service is horrendous. I'd intended on giving 20% gratuity until I saw 15% was automatically added to my bill! Rather insensed. I was looking for a policy regarding the 15% gratuity charge; but, was unable to find one? By the way, I always purchase parking the same time I purchase my ticket (which allows your vehicle to be parked literally across the street from the front entrance ) The parking staff are very courteous, efficient, polite.

Visited October 2013
Savannah, Georgia
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Valet parking? Joy and Pain”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We went to see Frankie Beverly and Maze and because of the performer, it's kind of hard to complain. Frankie Beverly and Maze were aMAZEing. The theatre is absolutely beautiful and as a playwright I'd imagined one of my plays, God, Not the Wizard being done on stage there. Nice venue and the food was...well the chicken wings were really battered thickly, but because of my anticipation for the show, I was able to scarf them down without too much complaining. I would have also liked to have seen the tables closer to the front and put the dancing behind the people instead of in front of them. Maybe it's just me.....Well, the concert went well and I hated to see the act come to an end. Nightmare struck when it was time to get our car from valet. I was so sorry we hadn't left earlier but we were smitten by the last song, I Wanna Thank You. And here's where the nightmare started. It was raining cats and dogs and pigs, too. The line outside was longgggg and who wanted to stand in the rain? Certainly not us (my niece and my girlfriend was visiting from Atlanta). Did these people not know that the same people who checked in for valet parking would be checking out (around the same time)? Wow, we waited and waited and waited until I could not take it any more. We asked if we might get our own car. Unfortunately it was in the garage and we couldn't go into the garage. And MAN, I had some place to be.........I'm not going to tell the rest of the story, but through the help of God, they did get our car and we were able to speed off. I could still hear Frankie Beverly singing, Joy and pain and even though we had experienced some joy in the show we had reached our pain with the valet parking. Joy and pain, like sunshine and yes........we had the RAIN!

Visited October 2013
Springfield, VA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Howard Theater Gospel Brunch”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

The Howard Theater building renovation is remarkable. Because of the historic place the Howard Theater has in DC history, we REALLY would like it to be a success. Unfortunately, it does not appear that management either wants it to be a success or knows how to make it a success. The food and service are HORRIBLE!

Where do I begin... With the powdered eggs that looked like cauliflower, the mystery meat that was labeled chicken fried chicken, the tasteless collard greens, the bitter tasting coffee , cheap concentrate orange juice or the cheap store bought pastries. The menu listing sounds appetizing, but none of the food lives up to that.
Now let's talk service or the lack thereof...

After seating ourselves, the first time we saw an employee was when we flagged down a passing bus boy to take away our untouched plates. The next time we saw him, he spilled orange juice on our table and on us, and in his flustered state put down two dirty champagne glasses from another table and left them on our table. This was the closest we got to any glasses, because the self-serve juice and coffee station only offered PAPER CUPS.

For $45.00 per person we expected a much better experience. There is a lot of competition in DC for your restaurant dollars. We do not recommend you spend any of your dollars here.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank PaycationExperts
Washington DC
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Completely disorganized place, great acts”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

This is the second time I have come here. The first time was pretty disappointing but I didn't want to judge because the manager told me it was unusually busy on a holiday weekend. So I gave them another chance. Big mistake. First, if you say doors open at 10 pm, then doors should open somewhat close to 10 pm. They didn't open until a half hour later while you are standing in line outside. Then, after seated, it took 30 minutes just to get water, and another 20 minutes to get our drinks. The show started 45 minutes late, which is not unusual, but allows you to focus on how much you wish you had your drink.

The show itself was great. Angie Stone was a great act. But, to end it off, the bill... $45 for 2 drinks. Tip was included, not optional.

The previous time was for the gospel brunch, but just the same, too slow, really mediocre food and service, and expensive.

Unless management takes notice, this place is not going to last.

Visited August 2013