“Loved it!”

Le Pain Quotidien
Ranked #434 of 3,368 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: European
Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

Went for breakfast. Kids loved their pastries and ordered seconds. Avacado and tomato omelet was wonderful and cooked perfectly. Coffee was great. Loved that they had milk options such as soy and almond. My husband got a waffle and said it was little dry. Presentation was beatiful. $50 for breakfast was pricey but I did enjoy it. Server was sweet.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

I met with a group of people here in the evening; because this is located in downtown DC/business district, I imagine that they do a great breakfast and lunch business (they close at 8 p.m.). We had the back area to ourselves; my only complaint is that the music was a bit loud for conversation. I had never eaten there before, but was pleased to see that for the people who have food allergies or preferences, there are both gluten-free and vegan options.

I had the chicken sandwich with buffalo mozzarella with a mint lemonade. The sandwich was open-faced and the only complaint I have is that they seemed to go a little light on the chicken, and the "basil pesto" tasted a bit diluted (like they mixed mayo in it?). I was told that is the most popular "tartine", and it was tasty. A couple of people at the table got a bowl of the soup of the day (HUGE bowl that came with two big pieces of bread).

The prices are a little higher than say, Panera, because the ingredients are organic. That's fine with me, because I would rather eat organic if possible.

We were there when it was closing, and I asked the manager (Elizabeth) if they provided any kind of discount on the day's treats (once I was at Cosi at closing time and the worker gave us their leftover pastries). She said not according to policy, but boxed up an apple/apricot tart for me anyway. That was really wonderful customer service!

Overall, my experience would lead me to return and try something else...maybe a salad or some more of their breads.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Our "go to" option for breakfast pastries and carry out sandwiches for picnics. Most things were delicious, tho a few pastries were trying too hard to be wholesome for my taste! Grab & go sandwiches made a lovely picnic at the zoo. Quiche was also very good. Staff was reasonably friendly and the space attractive.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

loved the food-- amazingly simple, tasty and fresh. Wish that more meats were offered. Service was spotty late 2012, but much better in 1Q13

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Expensive, but the quality was quite good, as was the coffee. Pretty standard. Nothing to write home about, but a good place to have a snack or light lunch.